Saccharine Showers

"Her love happened to me a hundred times at once,

in a thousand different ways,

in a million different colors."
_________________________

"Alexius, I'm scared."

A lone tear slid down my cheek as we approached the throne room, my arms were still held firmly behind me, and my body was being pushed forward by the wolves who'd caught us.

My brother glanced back at me, a pained expression painted on his face. "Alexandria-"

He was cut off by the voice of our captor. "Oh for fucks sake, this isn't some shitty hollywood movie. Just shut the fuck up."

I visibly winced at his language, my mind unaccustomed to such words.

Meanwhile, Alexius turned his dark gaze to the man, his eyes burning with something I'd never seen before.

He's never looked so angry.

"Curse around my sister again," he growled lowly, his eyes shining a bright angry gold with the tiniest flecks of burnt coal, just like fathers. "I dare you."

Although this man clearly had the upper hand, the look on my half brothers face was seemingly enough to get him to fall silent.

Instead, he pushed the grand doors open, revealing the main hall that I'd grown up playing with my dolls in. However, today it was tainted with the thick metallic smell of blood that permeated the air.

The blood of my people...

When Alexius and I both paused in our steps at the sight of all those familiar lifeless bodies, the men pushed us in, forcing me to land harshly on the ornate marble floor.

"Sweetheart?"

My body went rigid the moment that voice reached my ears.

"Mama?"

Pushing my hair out of my face, I glanced up, and my mother's honey colored eyes met my own.

She was a mess.

Those long strands of brown hair that flowed down past her hips were completely tangled, and her torn evening gown was painted a crimson red.

My father was right beside her, a gentle hand resting on her shoulder. He looked as though he'd aged a decade in this one night.

I immediately ran towards them, and launched myself into my mother's arms, the remaining tears already threatening to spill. "What's happening, mom?"

She said nothing, instead choosing to pull me impossibly closer. "It's alright, my darling, calm down. Your heart is beating so fast I can hear it."

"But mama-"

"Alexandria," my father cut in, his voice still as strong as before, but even now I could hear his perfectly hidden distress. "How'd they find you two? I told Alexius to take you down to the dungeons."

I blinked away the water in my eyes, and met his gaze. "They ambushed us in the hallway, and dragged us back here."

My father seemed as though he was about to say something, but we were interrupted by a new voice.

"Oh, would you look at this cute reunion," the same wolf from earlier cut in, his words laced with a bitter resentment. "Too bad you'll all be saying goodbye soon."