Monody (I)

Death doesn't discriminate,
Between the sinners and the saints.

It takes and it takes and it takes,
And we keep living anyway.

We rise and we fall and we break
And we make our mistakes.

And if there's a reason I'm still alive,
When everyone who loves me has died.

I'm willing to wait for it.
_____________________

Two of his pack links were... severed?

My body went rigid at his words, at the fire peeking through his territory outside, but before I could do anything, Livius was already moving.

"Stay here, Alexandria," my mate snarled, his rage practically seeping into his voice as I snapped out of my daze. Ignoring his command, I quickly made my way to the closet and slipped on a pair of sweatpants before stepping back out only to find him already at the door.

"Livius, there's a fire out there," I told him, joining his side and disregarding the anger emanating from him in waves. His rage wasn't directed at me. "That's my element."

He growled down at me, the sound deep and guttural. "Alexandria."

I didn't relent, my eyes only narrowing on his as he glared down at me before visibly wincing again.

The bastard was still hurting.

I watched as he seemed to shake away whatever pain was running through him. Instead, he tore open our room door and shot me a piercing look. "If I tell you to stay put, you're just going to sneak behind my back," he bit out, eyes meeting my own. "So at least promise to stay behind me."

Resisting the urge to roll my eyes, I nodded my head as he took long, meaningful steps down the hallway, already determined to find out what the fuck was going on.

I kept to his side the entire time, both of us leaving our wing and running down to the massive foyer. I couldn't help the sinking feeling in my stomach, the anxious beating of my heart, the panicked breaths escaping my lungs.

Things had gone so horribly wrong. But how bad was it? How much destruction and carnage?

As we stepped down the large marble staircase at the center of the palace, the first people I saw were a group of wolves outside gaping at the burning horizon.

Downstairs it was utter chaos. People were all over the place, shouting orders and running past each other in a jumbled mess. I caught sight of the pack nurses and doctors heading outside, along with several other warriors.

"What the hell is going on?!" Livius' enraged voice cut through the disorder, the maids and guards rushing through the foyer stiffening as they caught sight of us coming down the stairs.

None of them responded, either out of fear of the pure anger dancing in my mates overwhelming gaze or their lack of a legitimate answer, but before Livius could snap again, Jayden cut through the crowd, his eyes filled with the same rage and panic.

We quickly approached him as he frustratedly pinched the bridge of his nose. The wolves behind us slowly continuing their work as we exited the castle.

Jayden inhaled a deep breath, quickly regaining focus. "Alpha, there's been an attack in the Western part of the forest. The number of victims have yet to be confirmed, and the suspects have most likely fled the scene. Delta Noah is there now."