Loyalty (II)

"Think I'll miss you forever,

Like the stars miss the sun in the morning sky."
_________________

We landed in Spain four hours after Alexius discovered the coordinates. He, and a good majority of my present council members, had managed to catch up on some sleep during the plane ride. And as much as I'd told myself I should do the same, I couldn't.

I was restless. And every time I closed my eyes, Alexandria was all I saw. A constant reminder of who I stood to lose replaying in my mind. I wouldn't sleep until she was safe at home. I couldn't.

So, I'd spent the trip looking over our assault plans, reviewing what we knew, ensuring the pack

still remained in the dark regarding our whereabouts, just in case Gabriel had eyes and ears within the castle.

There were sixteen of us in total. Myself, Delta Noah, Sebastian, Alexius, and twelve warriors, four from among the Fae and eight of my own. Levon and the others remained to watch over the pack and ensure our borders remained secure. A necessary precaution.

There were no neighboring packs to call who could scour ahead. It was up to us to catch a trail from wherever these coordinates led us.

But when I sat down and thought about it... perhaps after this mess was wrapped up, there was a bit of conquering to do. If only to make certain that there wasn't a single nation unoccupied by wolves, in case of emergency. It wouldn't hurt to expand our domain into Spain...

It would be one less blind spot.

I humored the thought for thirty minutes too long. And if that wasn't a sure sign that I was going mad when I didn't have anything to do, I didn't know what was.

Landing an hour later was a relief. If I had stayed another minute on that plane, I probably would've contemplated annexing Italy and gifting it to Alexandria.

"We're almost there," Alexius said behind me as we walked through the woods. The main roads had ended at a line of forestry that ran miles in the direction of the coordinates, so we'd been forced to leave our vehicles behind. It was expected. Gabriel had to have taken her somewhere discreet, somewhere without humans and far from society.

Four of our warriors had split off in either direction to scout, all of them wolves, of course, seeing as to how the wonderful fae warriors King Alexius had brought along weren't good for hunting shit.

When I'd kindly pointed that out, my beloved mate's brother fixed me with a glare that could've shattered the earth.

Ever since I first saw the fae about twelve years ago, I couldn't shake the thought that they looked like fucking angels. All pretty, serene faces, silver hair, golden eyes. I half expected them to sit in a patch of grass and weave flowers through each other's hair as a pastime.

They probably did.

Goddess, Alexandria would likely kill me if I voiced that generalization. I snorted to myself.

"Did your superior hunting skills help you come to that conclusion or was it just google maps?" I retorted in response to Alexius' earlier words.

"I like to think that Alexandria would forgive me if I killed you," he mused in response, a permanent scowl on his face.

I stared down at him. He was a bit taller than Alexandria, but not tall enough. "And vice versa," I responded.

Still, his piercing gaze met my own, unwavering. Great, Alexandria 2.0. Except, I loved her and she was my mate. Alexius was just annoying.