Shadows

"When the snows fall,

And the white winds blow,

The lone wolf dies,

But the pack survives."
____________________________

Unknown POV:

"Your Grace," Gabriel bowed deeply while I read the letter for the millionth time, and paced the length of my newly refurbished office, frustrated by the news brought to me just hours earlier.

"Your Grace," the man repeated when I didn't respond.

I finally turned to him, one hand running through my silver locks, "what?" I snapped, before pausing, "and don't call me that."

He cleared his throat, "I apologize for the intrusion, but as your advisor I find it of utmost importance that I make you aware of our situation."

I arched a brow in questioning, patiently waiting for him to continue.

"This is good," he began, gaze briefly sliding over to me to gauge my reaction.

I blinked down at him for a few moments, my jaw clenched in agitation, "Did you just say this was good?" I bit out.

He coughed, shifting nervously underneath my gaze, "Your grace, I-"

"Don't call me that," I cut him off, no longer interested in what he or any of his advisors had to say.

They thought this was good?

Bullshit.

"Please allow me to explain," he began again, and I simply turned to look out the window as he kept going, knowing that I was listening, "her pledging her allegiance to the wolves only strengthens your claim, my king."

He didn't allow me to cut him off this time, "she's the only person out there who could declare the throne as her own. With her out of the way, it's yours for the taking. No one will hesitate to follow you," Gabriel paused, boldly meeting my gaze, "and if they do, we can simply remind them of her betrayal."

My gaze slid over the old man's form. I told myself that he was knowledgeable, that he knew what he was walking about. But no one could deny that sometimes his words simply did not add up, "I could've sworn just two months ago you said having her at my side would strengthen my claim. I remember it like it was yesterday, Gabriel. You, and all the other men in that room wouldn't stop going on about how wonderful her survival was, and how if I had her with me I'd surely be able to rule over the Fae."

He cleared his throat for the tenth time, "That was before we'd known who she'd accepted as her mate."

"Stop contradicting yourself," I warned, gazing arrogantly down at the man, "You all even went as far as to say that I could never claim the throne without her, and now you're simply telling me to quite literally throw her to the wolves."

He grinned sinisterly, "they seem to have already accepted her with open arms, according to our men."

"Even so," I leaned forward on my desk, my hands resting on the smooth wood, "she is one of us. We cannot leave her with those animals."

"She isn't one of us anymore," he ground out, "she's mated to the Werewolf King for god's sake! Nothing could excuse her disloyalty. For all we know, she may already have his next heir in her belly."

I narrowed my eyes, "No, I doubt that to be the case. Our people say she is still wary of him, regardless of their bond."

Gabriel shrugged disbelievingly, but did not comment further, "what is our next move, your grace?"

I rolled my eyes at the title, before speaking up, voice ringing with authority, "we will continue with our initial plan."

He met my gaze again, brows dipped in confusion.

"Having her here will do us more good than having her far away. I want her. I want her by my side. The people will trust me more if she's here," I explained my decision.

He attempted to argue, "But she coul-"

"I will rule," I cut him off, "She will have no control over my reign. After all, I only need her presence, not her counsel. And if she even attempts to rebel, I'll ship her right back to her ruthless little king."

The man still hesitated, large pale wings tucked behind him as he bowed his head in contemplation before slowly nodding, "very well then, your grace, we will continue searching for an opportunity to bring her before you."

Sitting down, I rested my head on my palm, eyes never leaving his own, "Good."

He turned away, striding quickly towards the doors, and stopping with his hand on the knob, "I simply hope you will not regret this decision."

I did not acknowledge his last words; instead choosing to wave a dismissive hand in his direction, silently waiting for him to get out.

The moment he was gone, my head immediately fell into my hands, my eyes slipping closed as I massaged my throbbing temple.

I let out another irritated groan at the pain.

I've been getting far too many migraines lately, and it was all thanks to those damn visions of her.

Of our princess.

My eyes twitched at the thought of her. She was so far away, completely out of reach. And yet the entire kingdom already knew of her treachery.

The daughter of the former King and Queen standing by the side of the renowned werewolf king.

I briefly wondered whose side she'd choose if it came to war.

She's always had a bad habit of befriending her enemies. A part of me was hoping it would have faded over the years.

I suppose I was wrong to hope for that.

Nevertheless, I needed her here.

I couldn't take her father's throne without her also being here. And besides, I didn't need any of the other fae warriors choosing her side over mine.

A dark look overcame my features as my grip tightened on the letter Gabriel had just delivered.

I was going to destroy them all.

Just as they did my people. Just as they did my family. Just as they did my King.

And when the fighting was all over, I was going to mount the werewolf king's head on a spike and explain to Alexandria exactly how much of a monster he truly was. I was going to make her understand why she could not show those people any mercy.

That was my fantasy.

Goddess, I couldn't wait to make it a reality.