Oscar Emboaba [~] A Man of Understanding

For Vivianne_1020: Oscar

Being Jose Mourinho's favorite niece had its perks. For one thing, his name in the football world had gotten me into a successful academy at a young age. My mom hating taking favors from her younger brother but I appreciated my uncle's insistence that I attend the top football academies. I grew up in Portugal and got a lot of back talk for being a girl and loving football as much as I did.

My shaky house life, with my father leaving me and my mother before I could even process the loss and my mother's problems with her job, had always stressed me out beyond words. Football, however, calmed them down almost immediately. It gave me something to focus on. I was a good student and was offered scholarships to prestigious colleges. I, however, turned them all down, much to my mother's dismay. I didn't want to waste away in a library, I'd rather be out on a football pitch.

After a lot of hard work and guidance from my uncle, I was able to get into a professional women's team in Portugal. I was traded around a bit, never really having any time to settle down before I was traded again, until I landed in England. I had been here for six months and started to make a name for myself. My uncle had invited me to a Chelsea training practice and I had graciously accepted.

Parking my car, I got out and walked towards the gated entrance. Showing my pass, the guards let me through. Passing through the long hallway, I looked around at the Chelsea memorabilia that was hung up around it. I walked through the hall quickly, finally entering the field. The players were running around, following directions coming from my uncle and the other coaches. "Uncle!" I greeted in Portuguese. My English wasn't the best yet and I felt more comfortable talking in Portuguese, my native language.

"Viv! You came! It's so good to see you," my uncle smiled, pulling me into a quick hug. "How's your mother?"

"She's been better. Her job's finally working out for her, though," I replied. Jose nodded before turning his attention to the men huddled around him.

"Gentlemen, this is my niece, Vivianne," he introduced in English. I waved shyly. He said something else in English, conversing with a few other players. I looked around at the players.

 "Do you speak English?" one player said to me in Portuguese.

"A little, it's a work in progress," I smiled.

"I understand. My name's Oscar," the man stated, extending his hand.

"Vivianne, but you can call me Viv," I returned.

"A few of us speak Portuguese here but not all. If you need help translating, just let me know. Willian also speaks Portuguese," he said, pointing to a man with dark, curly hair.

 "Thanks Oscar," I thanked. He nodded before running off with his teammates. My uncle had gone to talk with the goalkeeping coach, leaving me to my own devices. Spotting a ball, I walked over. My sneakers touched the ball, kicking it into the air. I decided to do some tricks with the ball, work on my ball control. Doing a few tricks I could do without problem, I seemed to have attracted a small crowd.

Kicking the ball into the air, I leaned down and trapped the ball between my head and my shoulder blades. Nudging it off, I kicked it a bit more, turning around as I did so. I stopped juggling to see the small crowd standing there. "Hi?" I smiled awkwardly, rubbing the back of my neck in embarrassment.

"That's amazing! Where'd you learn to juggle like that?" Hazard asked, stepping forwards. I caught a few words here and there but I wasn't entirely sure as to what he was asking me. Luckily, Oscar, noticing my growing distress, translated Eden's questions.

"Oh, from Uncle," I said in broken English. "My English bad." I smiled sheepishly.

"No problem. English isn't our first language either. Well most of us, that is," Eden smiled reassuringly which made me feel better. I looked over at Oscar.

 "Do you want to come play with us for a little bit? A few of the other guys were asking me to ask you since they can't speak Portuguese. And a few of the other guys were asking if you were single," Oscar grew pink as he said the latter sentence. I agreed to play with the guys for a little bit.

"And I am single," I winked, walking past Oscar. I looked over my shoulder to see him blushing an even darker shade of pink, which made me giggle louder. "Are you coming or not?"

"Oh trust me, I am," he winked back, jogging past me. I smirked and jogged after him. I and a few of the Chelsea players split into two teams of seven each. I played primarily center midfield, although I had been shoved to the left recently. The game started when Courtois shouted 'Go!' and I chased after Oscar, who had the ball. He tried to pass the ball up to Hazard, but my foot stopped the ball, sending it away from the Brazilian.

 "You're going to have to be faster than that, Oscar," I smirked, jogging off. I was passed the ball and ran towards the small net. I passed the ball to Willian, only to have Oscar slide tackle and stop the ball with his leg. I smiled playfully at him as he got up, the ball having rolled into the hands of Courtois.

"You're going to have to faster than that, Viv," he teased, repeating what I had told him no less than two minutes before. We both turned to the ball and ran after it. Although he appeared lanky and otherwise not muscular, he was quick. He grabbed the ball right before I did. I was still ahead of him and stuck out my foot to kick the ball away. I caused Oscar to trip over me and fall on top of me. I laughed as he sat on top of me.

"Oscar, get off," I laughed, pushing the midfielder off of my smaller body. "Big oaf."

"I'm not the one who decided to trip their opponent," Oscar joked, standing up. He offered me a hand and pulled me up. I smiled up at him afterwards, mostly forgetting about the game that was still going on around the two of us.

"Oscar if you would kindly release my niece's hands from your own, that would be lovely," came my uncle's sarcastic comment. We broke away, blushing as Hazard ran past.

 "Ooh, you guys are in trouble," he teased.

"Oh shut up," I said in English without any real malice in my words. "Focus on game, Hazard."