Sergi Roberto [~] Amnesia

For lola: Sergi Roberto

You and Sergi had been driving home when something terrible happened. It all happened so quickly. One moment you were chatting with your boyfriend about your up and coming project for work when it happened. You and Sergi passed an intersection, with you guys having the right of way. However, some idiot behind the wheel of a pickup truck decided to run the stop sign. He had realized all too late that your and Sergi's car was also passing through the same intersection. He had apparently slammed on the breaks but not before he had T-boned you and Sergi.

You had screamed as your car slammed into a tree. Then everything went dark. You woke up in a hospital room. You looked around, confused as to why you were in the hospital. A nurse chose that moment to walk into the room. "How are you feeling, Ms. (Y/L/N)?"

"I feel fine. Why am I here?" you replied.

"You don't remember the car crash?" the nurse asked, sounding concerned.

"No," you shrugged, thinking it was obvious.

"Not anything? Do you remember your boyfriend? He was in the car with you," the nurse said, her voice laced with something you couldn't pick up.

"I have a boyfriend?" The nurse turned ghostly white before plastering a smile on her face.

"I'll go tell the doctor you're awake," she smiled, exiting the room quickly. You furrowed your eyebrows, confused by the woman's actions. She returned with an elderly man, whom you assumed was the doctor she talked about.

"Hello. My name is Dr. Gonzales. Can you tell me anything and everything you remember? What is the last memory you have?" the doctor questioned.

"The last thing I remember . . . I had just gotten my dream job at the fashion company located in Barcelona," you recited.

 "We'll be right back, Ms. (Y/L/N). If you need anything, press that button right there and a nurse will come in and help you with whatever you need." The doctor and nurse walked quickly into the adjacent room where Sergi sat up in bed. He had lacerations from the broken glass, had some bruising, but was otherwise unharmed.

 "How is she?" he asked.

 "Your girlfriend is . . . When did she get that dream job of hers . . . at the fashion company?" the doctor stated.

"About four years ago. It was before we met. Why?" Sergi looked concerned.

"I'm afraid the car crash resulted in your girlfriend contracting amnesia. Getting her job was the last thing she remembered."

"So she doesn't remember me?" Sergi choked out.

"Not necessarily but we will have to test it to be sure," the doctor sighed. "Come, follow us." Sergi got up and off the bed, following the doctor and nurse into your room. You looked at the doctor and nurse with confusion. They had brought a man you didn't recognize. "Do you know who this man is?"

"No, I've never seen him before in my life," you answered truthfully. The man looked sick to his stomach and rushed out of the room. The nurse followed after him. The doctor walked over to you, looking like he had a burden on his shoulders.

"Miss (Y/L/N), I regret to inform you that you have amnesia due to the car crash. You don't remember anything that has occurred over the last four years." You took in the information.

"Was that man . . . did I know him?" The doctor nodded sadly. You could only look down at your fingers. "What is his name, the man's?"

"Sergi Roberto," the doctor responded before straightening up. "Get some rest. You can be discharged tomorrow, if you would like. However, you would need someone to sign off on it." He left the room, leaving you confused. Getting out of the hospital bed, you walked cautiously out of the hospital room, heading down the hallway. Seeing the name 'Sergi Roberto' on one door, you knocked lightly.

"Come in." You pushed open the door. The man, Sergi, sat on the bed. When you entered the room, his eyes grew as wide as saucers.

 "Are you Sergi Roberto?" The man nodded. "The doctor told me that you were in the car crash with me and that I knew you before the crash. What was I exactly to you?" Sergi seemed to pause and grow rigid for a moment.

 "We were friends, best friends," he stated, not wanting to overwhelm you with the information.

"Oh. I'm sorry I don't remember you," you said awkwardly.

"It's not your fault," Sergi smiled warmly at you. You and Sergi were released from the hospital shortly afterwards. You didn't remember anyone in Barcelona or even where you lived. Sergi offered you a room at his house and you accepted it. For some unknown reason to you, you felt like you could trust Sergi with your life. Entering his house, you noticed pictures of the both of you hung up around the house.

"How long have we know each other?" you questioned the Spaniard.

"Just over three years."

"How did we meet?" You turned to look at Sergi, who stood in the hallway with a faraway look in his eyes.

 "Well, we both attended the same party one night. You ended up literally tripping into my arms and we've been friends ever since," Sergi stated, leaving out the part where he had kissed you that night. Or anything romantic for that matter. You smiled, trying to remember the night. When you drew a blank, you frowned.

"I don't remember," you sighed, upset that you weren't able to access those memories.

"It's okay. I'll help you remember," Sergi offered. You sat around the table at night, peering through a few photo albums Sergi had in his home. Every day, if he wasn't at practice or otherwise busy, he would bring up memories and you would struggle to remember them. You visited the doctor every week to check on your progress. It was slow but steady and the doctor thought that you would be able to regain most of your memory by the end of a three year period.

Sergi looked hurt when the doctor told him the news but he swept it from his face before you could notice his distress. During your recovery process, Sergi had hid the romance the two of you had shared for fear that it would be overload for you. He also didn't want you to shoulder the burden he currently carried by himself. He had thought of your wellbeing, and only yours, when he made this decision, deciding that he could suffer by himself for another three years if it meant that you would be in his arms once more afterwards.

Sergi had gone to practice one day, leaving you home alone. Walking quietly through the halls of Sergi's home, you saw a picture sticking out of a picture frame. It looked like one of those sets of pictures that you would take in a photo booth. It was hidden behind a larger picture of you and Sergi standing on some beach, your arms wrapped around each other's shoulder.

 Taking the picture frame off the wall, you pulled off the back carefully. A few small pictures fell out and you bent down to pick them up. Looking at the first one, you gasped. In the picture, you sat in Sergi's lap. The two of you kissed, the backdrop being that of a few fireworks. Peeling your eyes away from the photo, you wracked your brain. Then, suddenly everything came flowing back to you. The crash, Sergi, your relationship, everything that you had forgotten came back instantly.

You stood up as Sergi entered the house, having returned from practice. "I'm home. What'd you do today?" Sergi asked, standing in the doorway. You dropped the photo and turned to look at Sergi. He looked at you confused before you ran, more like sprinted, towards him. Wrapping your arms around his neck you smashed your lips to his. He pulled back confused.

"I remember, Sergi. I remember everything. I remember you, I--" You didn't have a chance to finish because Sergi reconnected your lips. You smiled into the kiss, having gone months without one. Sergi wrapped his arms around your waist and they felt right. This whole thing finally felt right. No, more than right. It felt perfect.