Adnan Januzaj [~] Waiting for 'Yes'

A.N. First of all, thank you for the three thousand votes!!!!! And I'm almost to a hundred thousand views too!!!! Thank you for all the support!!!

For Maccas_Brooks: Adnan Januzaj

Growing up in Brussels, there was never a short list of new people. So, when you entered high school in your freshman year, it was no surprise to you that you hadn't met half of your classmates before. Among them, was one Adnan Januzaj. And, for some reason unknown to you, he had taken a liking to you after only knowing you for six days.

True, the both of you shared a few friends and your schedules were similar, but you never thought that Adnan Januzaj was the type of guy to fall for a girl like you. For one thing, he was a star athlete, too good for the school team and already playing for semi-professional teams in high school. He got all the girls to trip over him and beg for his attention.

You, on the other hand, just blended into the background. You liked sports but you weren't good enough to make varsity for any of the teams at your school. So, you focused on your studies. You usually had your nose tucked into a book or you were typing away on your crappy laptop that barely worked anymore. Adnan and you, per social standards, were not compatible for each other.

Your lockers were next to each other, so the two of you had small conversations every other day. But, one day, Adnan leaned on your locker door as you were swapping out your books for the next period. "Hey, (Y/N), can I ask you a question?"

"Sure," you replied, pulling out your books.

"Will you go on a date with me?" Adnan asked suddenly. You raised an eyebrow and clutched your books to your chest. Here it was, the golden opportunity of the century. You could go on a date with the Adnan Januzaj, and mind you this was before he was famous at Manchester United. He was the school heartthrob and every girl secretly had a crush on him.

"No," you said, closing your locker door and proceeding to walk down the hallway towards your next class.

"What?" Adnan asked, sounding surprised, as the two of you walked down the hallway next to each other.

"No," you repeated, opening the door to the stairwell. "No means no, I won't go on a date with you," you said.

"At least give me a reason; you can't just break my heart without giving me a reason," Adnan responded, sliding down the staircase rail as you walked quickly down the stairs.

"You're a player, Adnan. You go on four dates a week and break hearts like it's your occupation. I don't just want to be the next name on the list of girls you've dissed," you called over your shoulder as you walked into your class. The next day, the fact that you had turned down the legendary Adnan was spreading like wildfire.

But, you knew that Adnan was just not for you, at least not yet. You'd seen what growing up had done to people, having been the youngest of four, and you hoped that one day Adnan would be different. Right now he was a player and a heart breaker but there was a possibility, however slight, that he would grow up and mature. You could see that he was a nice person on the inside but it never really came out. He had an image to uphold in front of everyone, and it wasn't an image you wanted to be a part of.

Every day after you had turned down Adnan for the first time, he would ask you again, and he wouldn't leave you alone until you gave him a reason. Every day, you would say no, and proceed to tell him a name of one of the girls he had gone a date with and then proceeded to break up with. Adnan left part way through high school for his football career and you thought you had missed your chance.

But, your mother assured you that if you and Adnan were meant to be, he'd find you or you'd find him at one point. About two years later, you were invited by Adnan's mother to his welcome home party. You and Adnan were both now nineteen years old and your mother and Adnan's mother had become friends over the time that Adnan was away playing football for some of the top teams in the world.

Walking into the party, wearing a sundress and sandals with your hair lightly curled, you saw Adnan Januzaj for the first time since he had left high school for bigger and better things. He was talking with a guy you recognized from school when the two of you locked eyes. You smiled and waved at him before walking off to find Adnan's mother.

After you greeted her, you went to grab a drink. Picking up the cup, you felt a tap on the shoulder. Turning around, you locked eyes with a familiar pair. "Hello, Adnan. Welcome home," you smiled.

"My mother invited you here?"

"Yeah, your mother and my mother have become friends apparently. After your mother found out that I was the girl that you were always asking out but never said yes, she immediately took a liking to me and invited me here," you explained, sipping your drink.

"Would you like to catch up outside?"

"I'd like that," you replied, allowing Adnan to lead you out of the house and to the bench in the backyard. "So, what is it like to be one of the top footballers in the world? Manchester United is a big deal."

"It's interesting and I love it," Adnan said. "But, Manchester just doesn't compare to Brussels."

"And why's that?"

"Because you're not there," Adnan stated.

"After all these years, who knew the Adnan Januzaj has a crush on me?" you winked.

"Just for old time's sake: will you go out with me?" Adnan asked, staring at you in the eyes.

"Yes."

"What?" Adnan exclaimed, seeming extremely surprised.

"I can say no, if you'd prefer," you teased.

"No, I'll take the yes," Adnan smiled. "If you don't mind me asking, girlfriend, why did you always turn me down when we were in school?"

"You weren't the man I envisioned you to be. But, I've seen in the news what you've done and how you've changed since our schooling days. You're the man I envisioned," you confessed.

"Would it be really stupid if I asked you if I could kiss you?"

"Not at all, but just for the record, the answer is yes," you smiled before Adnan leaned forward and kissed you. And it was well worth the wait.

A.N. Hachim Mastour next!