Fifteen

"Shawn, you've had some pretty crazy fan experiences. But Mer, I want to know, you were a big fan of Shawn's in the beginning yes?" James Corden asked.

"Umm, yeah." I said, tucking a stray hair behind my ear.

"What is something big, you see what I did there, that you did to prove that you were a devoted fan."

"He's sitting right here James, and I haven't told him this yet. He may break up with me," I said laughing.

"I'll cover my ears." Shawn said, lightly putting his fingers in his ears.

"Well there you go. Merci, do tell." 

"Ok. But I need everyone to understand that I was 14 almost 15 when this happened. You know Shawn opened for Taylor Swift on the 1989 tour." James nodded. "I'm not the biggest fan of Taylor by far, no offense I just I can't listen to it, but I was a little over the top devoted to Shawn." At the second mention of his name, Shawn turned to look at me. I rolled my eyes at him and he removed his fingers from his ears.

"Anyway, I wanted to go see him in concert, but that meant I would have to buy a ticket to Taylor Swift." James nodded and laughed, as if he knew where the conversation was going.

"So I babysat my younger siblings all of the time, to prove I was responsible enough to go to a concert by myself. This is the part where I should tell you that the last time I went to a concert with my mom, she embarrassed me so I was not about to let that happen again."

"Do you mind me asking what show it was that she embarrassed you at?" Shawn asked, very interested in the story.

"One direction," the audience laughed, "but that's beside the point.

"Anyway, I saved up enough money for a general admission ticket to the Taylor show, which meant if I got there soon enough I would be right beside the stage. I gave my mom the money and she bought the tickets. She ended up getting another for my mum because they wouldn't let me go alone.

"So it's the night before the concert and I've somehow convinced mum to camp out at the venue. There's only like six other people camping out so i was feeling good about our odds. We get into the arena and we go to the GA section and I grabbed onto the metal gate as hard as I could." The audience, along with James and Shawn Laughed at the face I made.

"Is there an end to this story," James asks joking.

"Relax I'm getting there, anyway the arena fills up and I'm like 'heck yeah mum' and she's standing there on her phone. But then the lights go down and I turn to her one last time before Shawn steps out on stage 'if you embarrass me, I'm going to not like you forever.' Shawn steps on the stage and I feel like I'm going to crap my pants, I didn't by the way," I turned towards the audience to make sure they got the point.

"So he does his thing and I'm in awe. And then the lights came on and I turned to my mum and told her I was going to the bathroom. I was actually just trying to get out of there before Taylor came on stage, because like I said, she's a great person I just don't listen to her. So like 20 minutes goes by and my mum texts me and she's like 'oh my god where did you go. Are you safe? Did someone kidnap you? I thought you were going to the bathroom?"

"What did you tell your mum?" James asked laughing like an idiot.

"I had make up a lie really quickly, and I can't stress this enough that it was a lie."

"Did you tell her you were sick or something?" James asked.

"I wish it was that simple James. I'm sitting on the back of the toilet in the bathroom with my headphones in trying to call her down and I come up with the dumbest lie I could have thought of. I told her that I ripped my pants and had to walk to the closest store to get some new ones."