Fifty-four

August 20th, 2018

"I hate high schoolers." Ally said coming in and throwing herself on the floor of Essie nursery.

"Hello to you too." I said putting the sheet on the mattress. "What happened?"

"Some of these guys think that just because I'm only 22, that they can get away with so much bull." She said groaning.

"Umm, you're literally only 21 though. Which I guess that doesn't make it much better."

"Mer, I'm 22." She said rolling over and looking at me.

"Since when?" I asked propping the mattress against the side of the crib and looking at her.

"Literally since April." She said sitting up.

"No because we always go out for your birthday, and I don't remember going out." I said scratching my head.

"Well, you'd just found out about the baby so when you didn't mention anything, I didn't want to bring it up because you were worrying about other stuff." She explained.

"You mean I really forgot your birthday?" I asked.

"It's fine Mer, really." She said standing up.

"Oh my gosh, I'm a terrible person." I said walking over and sitting in the rocking chair. I rested my elbows on my knees and placed my head in my hands.

"You're not a terrible person Mer. I understand completely. You were going through a lot." She said walking over and rubbing my back.

"Do you want to go do something now? We can call it your half birthday." I asked, looking up at her.

"No Mer, it's fine really. And besides, my half birthday is in October." She said. I nodded and put my head back down.

"Umm, are you alright?" She asked.

"Yeah. I'm just not supposed to get upset or overly emotional about anything." I said. "So, what did you tell the high schoolers?" I asked trying to change the subject.

"I told them that the next person to speak without being spoken too was getting sent down the hall."

"That's smart." I sat back in the chair and started rocking, closing my eyes.

"What time is Shawn supposed to be getting back?" She asked.

"His plane lands at 6 tonight." I said looking over at the clock on the dresser.

"Well, you've got like an hour and a half before we have to leave for the airport if you want to take a nap." She said putting a hand on my knee.

"I don't want to leave you alone though." I said looking at her.

"You've got an arsenal of movies downstairs, I think I can find one to watch." She said. I nodded and got up from the chair, walking into mine and Shawn's room. I laid down, grabbing throw blanket from the bottom of the bed and covering up with it.

I slowly fell asleep to the light sound of whatever show was playing on the tv.

——————-
I woke up, slightly confused for a second.

"Shit." I said looking at the clock. It was nearly 8:30. I threw the blanket off of me and got out of the bed. On my way out the door, I nearly ran into Shawn.

"How'd you get here?" I asked, relieved that he wasn't stranded at the airport.

"Ally came and picked me up." He said grabbing my shoulders. "Are you Alright?" He asked, looking me in the eyes.