10. Duck Face Selfie

||unedited||

T E N:

By the time I knew it, Friday had rolled in and I was already at the end of my first week back to school and Adam still hadn't taken me out for that ice cream he promised. He hadn't been around much lately and barely showed up for classes. Not that I cared, I swear.

"It's finally Friday and I can't wait for the weekend." Jamie smiled happily, her mood matching her pink outfit and sunny weather that will soon be gone as Summer faded.

"Can you guys believe it?" I laughed happily and took a seat in my designated spot next to Jamie in homeroom. "First week of senior year is gone!"

"Not yet, Aims. It's still Friday. I hate Fridays." Alex chided in with her negative comment, her outfit being the quite opposite of her mood; a bright, yellow top refusing her glum mood.

"Alex you're so negative all the time." I crossed my arms amusingly staring at her.

"Not all the time, dear Aims."

"Most of the time."

Alex shrugged, "that just makes the happy times a thousand more times better and memorable."

"Deep shit, bro." Jamie flicked a paper ball at Alex.

"Hello ladies! My beautiful girlfriend, come here!" Daniel greeted loudly with Wes and Adam trailing behind him goofing around with each other.

"You come here, my princess."

Daniel kissed Alex and took a seat beside her and Wes called out my name, "Aimee? Is this your homework sheet?" He pointed to a piece of paper on the floor at the front of the classroom where he and Adam both stared at it. Wes looked confused and Adam looked unimpressed but amused.

"Wait a sec," I got up from my seat and walked over to the boys and before I could even take a look at the paper Wes was already dashing over to where I was just sat and sat down, greeting Jamie with a charming smile.

"No, get off, Aimee's sitting there!"

"I'm sorry but do I look like Aimee?"

"Exactly, move!" Jamie made an attempt to push him off of the seat but seeing as he was a jock and in more than one sport team, her pushes and shoves didn't work well.

"Jamie, if you wanted to feel me up you could've just asked," Wes smiled.

"Wha- no! That's not what I was-" Jamie stuttered, red- faced.

I looked down to be greeted with a picture of Wes making a duck face captioned 'don't be mad, love you?' I chuckled at the unflattering angle of his selfie, "Oh wow, that's... new."

"Yeah, I had to stop him from printing out something worse." Adam agreed.

"Do I wanna know?"

"Nope." Adam shook his head and motioned for me to follow him to a seat around our friends.

"So, Mr Case, where have you been these past few days?" I quizzed as casually as I could once we were both seated.

"Ooh, you noticed. How sweet." Adam chuckled. "My mom had a fever so I stayed to look after her and drop my little sister to school and back."

"Aw, Adam. That's so cute." I pouted, cooing, warmed by his reason.

"Huh, I should start using that as a pick up line. Girls love that." Adam commented watching me.

"Is that all you think about?" I cocked my head to the side and I couldn't help but wonder why he acted the way he did, especially around the ladies; seriously horny. Maybe someone's been giving him hormone pills? "How many girls do you talk to?" Before Adam went to answer the question, I added on, "only talk and no getting in their pants?"

"Okay, not many. But so what?" He scoffed.

"I mean, Alex is hot and I'd totally hit that-"

"Watch yourself, bro." Daniel warned, hearing his words. Alex winked at Adam which made Daniel look like an idiot. Daniel noticed Alex's suggestive wink and sighed at his girlfriend, "Really, Xan? Even after I so kindly asked you out on a date tonight."

"So Alex and Jamie?" I asked.

"Yup." Adam nodded.

"And then me?"

"Not for long, Michelson." Adam winked suggestively at me and my face grew pink.

"Look closely as we have the male species-"

"Lex, I will end you." I quickly cut off Alex's stupid David Attenborough monologue before Adam, Daniel and Wes heard. Alex, completely unaffected by my comment shrugged in defense, "The female species seem to come across as heavily-- ouch not cool!" Alex rubbed the spot on her forehead where my strangely heavy pink eraser bounced off of.

"What are you guys doing?" Adam prodded looking between Alex and I.

"Butt out of it, Case." Alex replied, seeing my estranged and growing pink face. And before I could even let out a breath of relief she went on to say, "you're time to know will come one day. Not today but one day, my friend."

Adam stared with a calculating look at Alex and after failing to get anything from her, he turned to look at me and I instantly sunk in my seat and lowered my head to stare at the worn out wooden table with countless amounts of tiny doodles.

"How 'bout that ice cream today, Michelson?" Adam suggested a few minutes after he moved on from the whole David Attenborough situation and conversed with Jamie and Daniel whilst I rigidly sat in my seat, still staring at the doodles and tirelessly trying to cool my mind in hopes of taking away from the pink my face seemed to be doused in.

"Huh?" I looked up once I was certain the pink had cooled off into just a little blush.

"I'll take you out today. Not the same place, we live too far from the beach." Adam concluded.

"Oh? What is this I'm hearing?" Jamie had her brows raised with that stupid knowing look she and Alex would give me; the same one Alex and I would give Jamie whenever Wes came up in conversation. "You're taking her out? For ice cream?"

"Yeah, as an apology." Adam shrugged.

"Awe, Xan we aren't the only ones going out." Daniel nudged his girlfriend who had her head down, most likely sleeping.

"You know," Alex sleepily started, squinting her eyes at her boyfriend. "I love you but there's not a day that goes by where I don't want to fight you." Daniel's face dropped as Alex neared the end of the sentence. "I'll tease whoever when I have the will to wake up." Alex dropped her head back onto the table and I've never been more thankful for Alex to be sleeping. She would've taken the situation to the next level and I think I'd be red with embarrassment for days.

"My girlfriend, ladies and gentlemen." Daniel showcased as he gingerly grabbed Alex and rested her head onto him before kissing her forehead. I smiled thoughtfully at Daniel who caressed her hair and looked down at Alex as if she was the only one for him in the entirety of the world. They're so cute.

"So are you on for today, Michelson?" Adam called for me.

"Oh right, yes." I smiled at him before looking back at Alex and Daniel. Adam noticed and looked at the two as well. "They're so good together."

"Alex is the only woman, apart from Nonna who isn't afraid to put him in his place." Adam agreed. "They're good for each other."

"I want that." I smiled, longingly wanting to have someone to love me as unconditionally as Alex and Daniel love each other. "They've been at each other's throat since they were seven and they still are."

Adam said nothing but looked at me in a strange way as I talked about a relationship I wanted. I know, it's stupid and most of the things I wanted were pretty corny but that's because its coming from a girl with zero experience when it came to dating and had only the books and shows she watches to rely on. Nonetheless, Adam made no rude comment, only watching me as I spoke.