46. Strong, Independent Woman.

||unedited||

F O R T Y S I X:

"He's the cutest isn't he?" Jamie gushed at the cheesy text message Wes left for her and Alex shivered in disgust.

"Aww, Jamie you guys are so cute. Ignore Alex she has no soul." I directed a glare at Alex. "So are you guys official yet?"

"He showed up for lunch with my parents and me and asked my dad for permission old school it was the sweetest." Jamie looked like she was the luckiest girl in the world, joyously popping a grape into her mouth. We were in Alex's kitchen waiting for Jamie's secret cupcakes to bake.

"Did he ask for your hand in marriage already?" Alex pulled her double chin out taken aback at how soon everything was going.

Jamie blushed, "no permission to date me. For me to be his girlfriend."

"That's so cute."

"That's lame."

Alex and I both spoke at the same time and I resisted the urge to roll my eyes at her.

"I'm kidding jeez, it's sweet. Wouldn't have thought he would survive after asking your dad."

"He doesn't hate Wes. But he loves Stephen Atkins." Jamie explained. "What's new with you and Loverboy, Aims? You guys had a pretty hot make out caught on camera. Anything new?"

"Is he asking you out to the dance or is he being stupid?" Alex asked.

The timer pinged and Alex got up to take the cupcakes out of the oven seeing as Jamie couldn't herself. "No he won't, he's going with Kara Thomas if you didn't know." I rested my head in the palm of my hand and sadly looked at my friends. The dance was one week away and I dreaded it more than usual because I'd have to see Adam and Kara Thomas together.

"Kara Thomas? Not again." Jamie groaned. "Adam never takes anyone to the school dances and the only time he did was in sophomore year and it was Kara. It was a disaster. And he hasn't since and now he's taking her again? Hasn't he learned from his mistakes?"

Curiously, I sat up, "What happened last time?"

"Let's just say that Ms Thomas was really really desperate." Jamie shivered at the memory.

"Desperate?"

"Horny McGee." Alex answered and because I'm a 'prude'— according to my best friends—Ben Blush made a cameo.

"Prude." They both said.

See what I mean?

I didn't want to think about Adam and Kara Thomas doing the dirty.

"Where was I?"

"You were sick. It was that night I came over and we watched Gossip Girl and you made me sick after so I beat you up for it." Alex reprimanded and I massaged my neck on impulse remembering the bruise. Oh, the trauma.

"Glad I missed that." I reached for a cupcake off the cooling wrack they were placed on only for Jamie to whack my hand away with her one good hand.

"No."

"But they smell so good."

Jamie made the best cupcakes, so good they put Alex's to shame. They tasted like heaven and would be the reason for me becoming obese if she made me a batch everyday. I had no control. One was never enough. She never shared her recipe no matter how much Alex begged for it. Alex would try and replicate her cupcakes, making batches and batches of cupcakes and would always fail.