42. Thanksgiving: The Crash

||unedited||

Pretty long chapter. Heavily unedited. Might be incomprehensible. Read at your own will.

F O R T Y  T W O:

A tense silence filled the car, everyone lost in their own thoughts, thinking the worst of the worst and mentally preparing for it. To think, I was just going to curse Jamie for the throbbing pain minutes before. The throbbing worsened and my head felt like it was being squished by a metal contraption of some kind. The though of losing my best friend had the hairs on my arms standing and my throat clogged. And before I even knew it, our friendship flashed before my eyes. When Jamie and I first met when we were kids, when we shared our lunch together. When Jamie and Alex helped me off the monkey bars, when Jamie had her first crush, our first sleepover, our first argument, Jamie's first heart break, everything came flashing at full speed and emotions ran higher than before.

I zoned back in and away from my thoughts when Alex's car came to an abrupt halt in the hospital parking lot. It was also only then did I notice my blurred vision thanks to the tears that pooled my eyes.

"We're here." Alex said.

"Alright man, see you there," Danny hung up the phone, "I just called Adam, he'll be here any minute." I was so lost in myself that I didn't notice Danny even pick up his phone to call Adam.

"Lets go." Alex hopped out her car and the rest of us followed. After she locked her car, we all charged for the hospital doors to the ER.

It didn't take long to find Annie. She had her cardigan wrapped around her snugly, one hand clutching her chest whilst the other held up a balled up tissue by her tear stained face. Her eyes never left the door which I assumed was where a surgeon would walk out of to inform her of the progress. Seeing her torn up face just made it even more real.

"Annie," I called, wiping my eyes.

"Girls, you came." She stood up, relieved but still sad. We met her halfway and I embraced her into a tight hug.

"Of course."

"How's she doing? Any updates?" Alex asked, rubbing her back and leading her to sit back down.

"N-no... not yet." Annie sniffled. "Doctors came a few minuets ago and said the surgery should be done in an hour if they aren't met with- with anymore complications."

"Well we'll stay right here with you until we know Jamie is okay." Alex smiled.

"Oh, girls it's Thanksgiving I shouldn't-"

"Don't worry about it, Mrs Prescott." Danny assured. "We already had a thanksgiving yesterday and we were all just going to go to my house anyways."

Annie looked up at Daniel and before she could say anything, Adam came hurrying towards us, "I came as fast as I could, is she okay?" He looked like he had just gotten out of bed. He probably did.

"Oh... you all came. All my daughters friends came for her." Annie noted, a small smile of adoration on her face. I'm guessing Annie didn't take anyone but Alex and I into acknowledgement until then.

"Why wouldn't we? She's our best friend."

"I'm happy my daughter found friends like you guys."

"Annie, when you said Jamie got into a car accident, was anyone else with her?"

"My son! My son, Weston Atkins where is he?!"

"Where is our son!"

We all turned our gazes to see the Atkins family bustling in and just like that, my question was answered. Molly and Stephen -- Wes' parents -- came in screaming for their son, their three other boys behind them asking for their little brother.