26. Apologies

||unedited||

T W E N T Y S I X:

"Aims, you're worrying me. Are you alright?" Jamie asked for the tenth time as I exchanged my English books for my history. "I heard what everyone's been saying."

"I'm fine. I just want to go home and take a really really long nap that's all." I answered, resuming walking to class with her.

"Oh, hun, that's not fine." Jamie frowned and rubbed my back soothingly, wrapping an arm around me and giving me a side hug. "It'll be okay. I'm sure when Alex gets back she'll punch everyone in the face." Jamie reassured, pecking my cheek.

"Have you checked up on her lately with Danny?" I asked leaning my head on her shoulder as we walked.

"Last I heard is that she's doing alright. Danny came to school, though. He's pretty stressed out about Alex."

"Why didn't he just stay with Lex?"

"She wanted him to go to school. She also doesn't want him to get into trouble with Nonna again." Jamie answered.

"So, you and Wes? Get to school okay?" I asked, changing the subject.

"Remind me to never get into a car with Wes as the driver." Jamie shivered. "He almost got us killed by not looking where he was going." I breathed a laugh which dissipated when I heard another whisper. "Come on." Jamie said under her breath, leading me into Mr Parkinson's classroom. Jamie held me at arms length with her hands and each of my shoulders, forcing me to look to her. "Don't cry, you're better than this. You know what's true and what isn't." She wiped away a stray tear that fell.

"I know that, but they don't. And I don't like them thinking of me like that." I sadly dropped my head forward.

Jamie lifted it back up. "You know what Alex would say if she was here? You don't need anyone's validation or opinion to let you know that you are a good person, alright?" I nodded weakly. "You're alright. You're going to be okay." She pulled me in for a hug and I let out a breath that I didn't know I was holding. "I love you."

"I love you too." I smiled, pulling away. "Thanks, I really needed that."

"Anytime."

I turned, feeling a pair of eyes watching me. Adam. My breath hitched, staring at his regretful face sent a pang to my chest, dropping my heart to my stomach. At that moment, there was just him. I didn't know why I was so awkward when it came to him all of a sudden. I guess it was because he saw me cry and I've never let anyone see me so broken down. The only boy that had seen me cry was Daniel, but he was like a brother to me so it wasn't so weird, and now, so had Adam. Well he's only seen the start of me crying. I wasn't mad at Adam, so I didn't know why I felt like I had to avoid him and stop talking to him. I think I was just awkward like that.

"What has he said about all of this?" Jamie asked, snapping my away from my thoughts.

"I... I haven't really talked to him about it. He was dealing with a group of gossiping people when Jason made me cry." I shrugged.

"Jason made you cry?" She said shocked.

"Later." I said, meaning I'd explain what happened another time.

"Well, are you mad at Adam?"

"No. It's not his fault."

"Then talk to him. He probably thinks you're mad at him."

"Take your seats, everyone!" Mr Parkinson entered the classroom, gesturing for us to all take out seats. Jamie gave me one last soothing hug before she took a seat beside an overly excited Wes. I exhaled a deep breath and walked toward my seat, not having it in me to remark Adam on my way over behind him and beside Daniel.