27. Frogs

||unedited||

a/n: you'll get why there's a frog keychain soon ;)

T W E N T Y S E V E N:

"Di-ssection!" The short balding man exclaimed, stretching the 'i', underlining the word on the board and clapped his hands together. "Today, in biology we'll be dissecting- yes I know you've all done it before as I've heard many times so I'm expecting everyone to be an expert at this." Mr Bowman's shoe squeaked against the floor as he grabbed a hold of a box of gloves, walking up and down the classroom, handing out gloves to everyone. "Now, you'll be working in partners for this and whoever you're sat beside now will be your partner for this and the rest of you school year; no switching."

Before I could have the chance to look beside me and see no one there and feel sorry for myself, the door loudly opened, grabbing my attention.

"Sorry, Bowman. Had practice." Adam said, handing him a slip.

Mr Bowman took the note and nodded. "Take a seat, Adam Case."

"Move!" I hear a harsh voice instruct. Kara Thomas pushed Tina out of the seat leaving her in a pile on the floor. "Adam, this seat's empty." She called, waving him over flirtatiously whilst playing with a strand of her hair and giggling.

"Ugh, barf." I muttered to myself making a face.

"I don't think so, Miss Thomas." Mr Bowman intervened, shaking his chubby finger. "As I said, no switching partners, Miss Thomas. Adam, take a seat beside Aimee."

I perked up in my seat, as the three pairs of eyes looked to me whilst I dumbly played with my fingers, attempting to make as many diamonds as I could and trying to count them. I put my hands down, stiffly placing them flat onto the table and cleared my throat as if it'd erase my humiliating moment. Adam let loose a chuckle and my cheeks immediately warmed.

"Totally fine, Bowman." Adam said and advanced toward me with a smile.

"Of course." Kara scoffed sending me a dirty look which I pretended not to notice, keeping my eyes focused on Adam.

He winked, taking a seat, "Hey, Michelson."

"Hi." I hand Adam a worksheet and a pair of gloves.

"Any idea what we're dissecting?"

I shrug and before I can say anything, Mr Bowman yells, "Frogs!" And my whole body freezes.

"No." I whispered my mind undergoing full shock.

Mr Bowman proceeded talking, directing everyone on what to do but I heard none of it. My posture was rigid for his whole talk. All I wanted to do is leave the room and take the frogs. As Mr Bowman began handing out the frogs, I instinctively squeezed my eyes shut refusing to see the poor little things.

"You alright, Michelson? You don't need to kiss the frog, your prince is right here." Adam joked but I didn't laugh. I didn't respond at all. All I did was squeeze my eyes tighter and continuously chant a chorus of no's.

"Get to it, and fill out the sheets as you go!" Mr Bowman yelled and the chatter began along with a few squeamish people squealing and gagging.

"Come on." Adam nudged for me to get up and I frowned.

"Okay..." I caved solemnly, slowly opening my eyes to stare at the sad sight of the frog.

"Let's get to it." Adam declared with a scalpel in his hand.

"No, no, Adam. You can't." I pulled Adam away before the blade touched the frog and slowly swiped away the scalpel from his hand.

"What?" Adam laughed.

"I don't like this." I admitted. "This is so horrible, Adam. It's literally torture to me, frogs aren't meant to be cut open like this!"

"For educational purposes?" Adam cocked his head to aside with a calculating stare. "Haven't you done this before?"

"No!" I shook my head with my eyes widened in the way you do when it's completely serious and there's no kidding around. "I love frogs, Adam." I pouted. "This is just... God hating on me." I sniffled, feeling hysterical.

"Yo, check this out!" A guy yelled in laughter. And I made the mistake of looking and I regretted it, the image forever etched into my mind.

"Oh my gosh!" I sobbed, pulling my hands up to my face to cover up my eyes and rested my hand onto Adam's chest. "This is a nightmare!"

"Woah, hey, hey hey!" Adam quickly pulled of his gloves and encircled his arms around me. "It's alright. Dude, put that down you ass!" Adam yelled at the guy in annoyance. "Don't worry, Michelson. Let's get out of here, alright?" Adam soothed sympathetically, stroking my hair. I kept my head on his chest as he slowly guided me out of the classroom and away from the horrible sight that I was certain was going to appear in my worst dream for a long while. "You alright there, Michelson?" Adam questioned, his finger sliding under my chin whilst his thumb lightly grazed the side of my face.

"Well if I was alright, I wouldn't be sobbing!" I bit at him.

"Hey, cranky pants I'm sorry." He straight away apologized. "I didn't know you liked frogs so much."

"I do!" I laughed. "Look," I pulled out my keys to show him my frog key chain. "This is Anthony, he likes long walks on the beach and my company. I've had him since I was ten." I sniffled and made him bounce in the air.

"That's cute." Adam laughed looking down at me, flashing me his pearly whites through a purely genuine smile. The purest smile I had ever seen from him.

And of course, Ben came forth. I named my blush Ben, it's a thing now. Look into it. Stupid Benjamin Blush.

"Give me a second," Adam said before gingerly pushing me back, taking off my lab coat and glasses and popping back into the classroom. I waited, curious of what he was doing. "Okay, we're good." Adam let out a breath, shutting the door behind him with mine and his bags at hand.

"Good for what?"

"To go. I told Bowman that you puked and I offered to drive you home. So let's get outta here." Adam grabbed my hand into his and pulled me to the exit, happily belting out '22' lyrics by Taylor Swift. "We're happy free confused and lonely at the same time. It's miserable and magical oh yeah!"

"Adam!" I giggled feeling my heart accelerate and wondered if his was doing the same.

"Ice cream and chips, Michelson?"

"You don't even have to ask."