69. Strangely Perfect

||unedited||

S I X T Y  N I N E:

_________________
【june】
_________________

Laughter rolled up from my chest as I bowed with my feet dug snugly into the warm sand, accepting the round of applause I received from my best friends, cheering with them.

"You did it!" Jamie squealed.

"They grow up so fast." Daniel wiped a faux tear from the corner of his eyes.

"That's my girlfriend!" Adam cheered lovingly, pulling me into a hug and showering my face with kisses.

"Whoo! Go Aimam!" Wes punched the air happily, pouting when Jamie corrected him with "it's Adiee."

"How does it to feel learning a new skill?" Adam smiled down at me, managing to leave me breathless as always. "You're so talented now. You won't realize you can do better because you're now too cool for me and leave me for some Harry Styles guy, will you?"

I shook my head at him, my smile stretching further, "never, Case."

"Oh good." He pulled me to him.

"Yeah, I'm kinda falling for the cooler teacher who taught me how to swim."

The last few weeks, after graduation I was finally ready to conquer my fear of water and was determined to erase the bad memories that I had associated with swimming. I was ready to move on and Adam was right there by my side as usual. We spent almost every day at the beach and when we couldn't go to the beach, we'd practice in Jamie's pool. I had successfully replaced all the negative connotations I held with swimming and finally learned how to swim without panicking. And it was all because of Adam Case.

Gosh, I love him.

"Oh really now?"

"Mhmm, he's so much more cool and amazing-"

"Keep going..."

"And hot and sexy."

"Ooh." He placed his hands at either side of my hips.

"His middle name is literally sexy. He's way better than any other dude or even Harry Styles."

"He sounds like a lucky man."

"Okay now, that's too far!" Wes wagged his finger at us, "Harold Edward Styles will always be better! Don't ever disrespect him, Aims!" Daniels popsicle fell onto the sand, from everyone's long, thrown off pause. Adam and I look to each other with wide, amused eyes unable to tame the laughter that spilled from our mouths at his outburst. "STOP LAUGHING AIMAM!"

"Dude... my popsicle." Danny sadly frowned at the sand that had absorbed it all.

"JAMES NOT YOU TOO STOP LAUGHING THIS IS NOT FUNNY!"

"I think it's cute how you stick up for Harry Styles when a few months ago you were jelly of him, Wes." Jamie went to her tippy toes and pecked her hyperbolic boyfriend.

"But-"

"Hey, Wes, let's not patronize the birthday girl." Adam intertwined his hands with mine.

Wes grudgingly caved, reeling in the rest of his outburst, "fine but you only get a pass because it's your birthday." He heaved, his mouth tightly string into a line. "But I won't let it slide on your nineteenth so watch it, Aimee."

"Duly noted." I held a hand up in surrender.

Daniel's phone rang loudly on his back pocket, and he tensed upon reading the caller ID, abruptly walking away to answer the call and leaving us in confusion.