39. Happy Almost Thanksgiving

||unedited||

T H I R T Y N I N E:

I smiled, breathing in the pumpkin spice and festive smells, skipping down the steps of the stairs. I entered the kitchen with mom taking out a pumpkin pie from the oven.

"Hey, honey. Happy thanks giving. Well, almost." Mom greeted with a smile. "Where's your step dad?" She asked carefully placing down the pie onto a table cloth. Stoney barked a good morning to me and I went over to pet her.

"David is helping Noah pick out his Almost Thanksgiving outfit." Mom pursed a smile and placed down her oven mitts.

"I'm sorry about that sweetheart." She apologized. She didn't need to.

"No, mom it's fine. I basically get two thanksgivings." I shrugged it off. We had decided to celebrate thanksgiving a day early because David had a big case at his law firm that he had to be in for the actual day of thanksgiving. He apologized too, but it didn't really bother me, Noah didn't care and Belle was the only one annoyed. She had planned to hang out with her friends before they had to leave.

The door opened and slammed shut. The sound of dragged footsteps and a bouncing ball made its way from the hallways to the kitchen. Speaking of the devil... Belle entered bouncing her basketball casually. Stoney ran towards her, wanting to get her paws on the basketball.

"Excuse me young lady, where have you been? We agreed you were to get back half an hour ago." Mom calls out in annoyance. "And no ball games in the house." Belle huffed and stopped bouncing the ball.

"Sorry, we had a mini basketball match for fun and lost track of time." Belle explained collapsing onto the bar stool beside me.

"Happy almost Thanksgiving, little sissy!" I chirped happily, knowing Belle would get peeved. And just as I figured, her face twisted with pure annoyance. "Is somebody on their period?" I went up to rub her shoulder and regretted it instantly as she slapped my hand off of her. "Ouch."

"Isabelle Jordon Michelson!" Mom yelled.

"What?!" Belle snapped and I gasped as silence clouded the kitchen. Nobody and I mean nobody disrespects momma Donovan.

"I don't know what's gotten into you but you better fix up. This is a family celebration and I don't care if you wanted to spend today with your friends. Either you fix up your attitude and apologise to your sister or you're grounded; no phone no laptop no WiFi and no friends." Mom spoke up in a deathly tone, her fierce stare also scaring me even though I wasn't even the one being yelled at. Belle grumbled. "So what's its going to be?"

Belle turned to me, "I'm sorry for hitting you."

"All is forgiven!" I smiled. "Happy Almost Thanksgiving. A time for forgiving." I joked horribly. Belle rolled her eyes.

"Good. Now get your butt upstairs and get ready. Take a shower you smell horrible." Mom instructed. Belle didn't have to be told twice and  walked up the stairs.

"Kids, eh?" I joked again and handed my mom her wooden spoon to stir the food.

"She's exactly like your father." Mom shook her head. "Always so stubborn and overly emotional. He used to drive me mad." She smiled fondly as she told me this and I couldn't help but smile too.

"Do you miss him?" I asked taking a seat.

"Always." She simply said. She stared into nothing with a reminiscent look on her face so I left to let her be and stalked up the stairs to see David comforting Belle with a pep talk.