61. The Wrong Choice

||unedited||

S I X T Y O N E:

"You sure you're okay?" Tate asked on our drive back from school. "You look like you've got the weight of the world on your back... having second thoughts about being my girlfriend?"

"No, of course not." I quickly replied. "I think I just need a good nap or something."

Adam had changed. It seemed he had gone back to his old ways, with a new girl on his arm pretty much every other period, not paying me the slightest bit of attention. And on the off chance we were with each other which was only when Danny was talking to me, he'd stare right thought me. Like I wasn't even there. Like I was a ghost. Or he'd simply busy himself with female attention.

Belle didn't say much about what she witnessed but I know she heard what happened that night. She didn't ask questions which I was grateful for because honestly, I still had no clue what had really happened. I needed someone to talk to.

I needed Alex.

"Tate," he hummed in response. "Do you think you could drop me off at Alex's place instead?"

"Sure, babe." I directed him through the streets telling him where to go and when we had reached her street, he blew out a low whistle. "Wow, your friend is rich?" He eyed all the houses with wide eyes.

"Yep. It's this one."

"Bloody hell! She's loaded, this place is huge!"

"Yeah, her mom has a huge alcohol business."

"Free alcohol whenever? She's living the life. Why is she always so sad?" He asked, coming to a stop outside of the gates.

"She wasn't always like this," I mumbled, staring at her house. "She's been going through some stuff lately and she broke up with her boyfriend recently as well. They were practically dating since they were kids."

"She's the Alex with the high school sweetheart title thing?" Tate looked shocked. "Huh." If there was one thing Alex and Danny were known for, it was being high school sweethearts who everyone was certain would last. Everyone wanted a relationship like they had, it was always something the girls would crave for and talk about now and then.

"Call you later?" I unbuckled my self.

"Yes. C'mhere." The tension I felt was replaced with tingles and butterflies when he put his lips to mine and I sighed in content.

"Bye." I timidly smiled, Ben Blush bouncing around as I stepped out of his car, waving him off. When he was gone, I turned toward Alex's house, waiting for the doors to open.

"Oh... hi." I didn't expect someone who was dressed as a maid to open the door. "Do I have the wrong house?" I muttered under my breath, double checking.

"Hi, this is the Tempest household, may I help you?"

"Are you new?"

"Yes, Miss." She nodded with a warm smile, she looked awfully young.

"Okay, is Alex around?" I peeked behind her to see if I'd catch a glimpse of Alex.

"Miss Montez. Yes she is, is she expecting you?"

"Uh... no but I'm her friend. Aimee."

"Let her in, Lindsay." Jenifer's voice called from behind her.

"Right away, ma'am." Lindsay stepped aside for me to enter and I thanked her, letting her guide me to where Alex was.

Alex was sat at the kitchen barstool, a wine glass in front of her and Jenifer stood on the opposite side of the island.