32. Happy Birthday, Adam.

||unedited||

T H I R T Y T W O:

October had rolled around and before I knew it, I was planning my Halloween, humming all Halloween songs as if it were Christmas. Adam and I talked a lot more. Over the phone, text and in school and I found myself liking him even more that it had gotten to a point that whenever I'd think of him, I'd smile and whenever I'd see him, my mood would instantly brighten.

My phone rang and I put down the faux cobwebs, "boo," I answered the phone, silently applauding myself.

"Hey, boo!" Adam's voice cackled.

"Adam?" I checked the caller ID. "What are you doing on Alex's phone?"

"Oh you know, the usual. Trying to find out what you guys say about your favorite guy when I'm not around." He casually hummed. "So, do you guys talk about how hot I am?"

I laughed, "good luck on finding out."

"Well of course I can. I'll do it right now."

"Good luck figuring out her passcode." I hear Adam huff as he continued to get the passcode incorrect. "You're going to lock her phone if you carry on, Adam. And we both know she'll hit you just like she did Jason Noel."

"Shoot, that's true." Adam slowly said. "Well I guess I'll just leave it all to my imagin-"

"Adam Case what the heck do you think you're doing with my phone?" Alex's voice rang in the background.

"I- Uhm. Michelson called and I figured it's like against the girl code or whatever to not answer so I did for you." Adam lied and I scoffed.

There's silence for several moments where I figured Alex was watching Adam and trying to figure out if he was telling the truth. Alex clicked her tongue, "you are so full of it."

"Okay okay, don't kill me please!" Adam cried out. "I'll wash your car! I'll buy you cookies! I'll let you choose my Halloween outfit!"

Once again, it was quiet. "Okay deal."

"Deal? For which one?"

"All of them." Adam groaned. "Now give me my phone." 

"Hey, what's up?" Alex answered as she shuffled around.

"Hey why wasn't I invited to your hang out?" I pouted.

"Adam came over to my place, demanding a surprise birthday party."

"When's his birthday?"

"Today."

"What?!"

"Yeah, you didn't know?" She said as I heard her rummaging.

"No." I started to feel bad about not knowing his birthday. After all, we've known each other since we were kids. I mean, I remembered being invited to one of his birthday parties but we were kids, and I never paid attention to the days.

"Oh, Aims." Alex snorted. "Why don't you come over. Jamie and Wes are stopping by too."

"Alright. Gosh, I feel horrible."

****

"Oh hey, Michelson!" Adam waved in his seated position with a game controller in his hands.

"Happy birthday, Adam!" I smiled taking a seat beside him. "Why didn't you tell me it was your birthday when you called?"

"I thought you already knew." He shrugged, pausing the game and holding his hand to his chest. "Oh, Aimee Michelson you wound me."

"I'm... sorry." I frowned.