53. Everything's Changed.

||unedited||

F I F T Y  T H R E E:

Everything was different.

Since the night at the New Years party, everything was different. And it wasn't a good change. It was not how a new year should've started.

Jamie and I would go to Alex's to check up on her after the party every day and most of the days, Jenifer would answer and send us back home telling us she wasn't doing well and she didn't want any visitors. And some days, we were lucky and Jenifer let us in. Alex would barely say anything but we knew she was glad that we were still there.

On days she didn't want anyone, she'd make sure to give a brief message to us to let us know she was okay for our peace of mind.

On the first day back to school in the New Years, she didn't show. She left for New York with Jenifer to clear her head and Danny was lost in his own world. We had forgiven Danny, still not knowing the full story. Alex wouldn't tell us anything but she did let us know that we shouldn't stay mad at him. So we didn't.

It was the second day back, I was getting ready to walk with Belle when Alex showed up in her car. She honked her horn once and waved us over to get in.

"Hi, Alex!" Noah animatedly waved at her from where he stood beside mom as she sorted out through the backseat of her car.

"Hey, dude." Alex halfheartedly smiled but it didn't meet her eyes. "Wow, I love the new hat."

"Thanks! It was your Christmas gift to me! My favorite one!" He beamed cutely at her.

"Alright Noah, lets get going, in you get," Mom instructed.

"Bye, Alex! I miss you!"

"Hey, Alex!" Mom greeted brightly. "It's been a while, we missed you at Christmas. Come over some time so we can give you your presents."

"Sure thing, Amelia. Merry Late Christmas and happy new year," Alex responded.

Mom nodded and turned to Belle and I, "have a good time at school. And, are you sure she's alright?" Mom asked. I told her what happened and she was saddened by the news as well.

I shrugged, "she's Alex."

"Right," Mom nodded. "Take care of her, won't you?"

"Of course." Mom pecked my cheek and then Belle's who only grimaced and she walked over to her car.

"Act normal, Belle." I said from the corner of my mouth before we got into Alex's car.

"Hey, Lex. How was New York?" I greeted.

"It was alright, a lot of eye candy, a lot of crazy people."

"Seems perfect for you." Belle said from her seat at the back and I glared, not knowing how Alex was.

"That's what I thought." Alex chuckled. "I saw your family at the subway, Belle."

"Huh?"

"Yeah, a cute little family of rats sharing a bite of a burger. They miss you." Alex playfully looked at Belle from the rear view mirror as she drove.

Belle rolled her eyes and glared, "you're such a loser."

"Rat." I laughed.

"A rich loser." Alex chided.

"Jamie got a ride with Adam and Wes." I told Alex so she knew to drive straight to school. I didn't mention that Danny was with them for obvious reasons. I quickly texted Jamie that Alex was coming to school so she knew we needed to get Danny away from Alex when we could. They weren't ready to see each other.