Dutch van der Linde: Dehydration

Dutch van der Linde X Female Reader

Summary: On a hot day you find yourself overworked and dehydrated, Dutch insists on looking after you. He takes the opportunity to tell you how he really feels.

Word Count: 2200

It was a warm day in camp. Actually 'warm' didn't even begin to describe it, it was probably the hottest day of the year and it was really starting to get to you.

Mary-Beth, Karen, and Tilly had all convinced Arthur to take them into town for the day while meant that you had even more work to do. To stop them from getting into trouble with Miss Grimshaw, you had to do their chores and work loads as well. This might not have been much of a problem if it was a cooler day but in this heat you were pretty sure that it was going to kill you.

Still it was just one day and the girls had promised that they would do your share of the chores for the rest of the week to repay you. So, it was worth it.

You sighed as you carried another full basket of freshly clean clothes into the camp, placing it down on the table. This was the third basket of clothes you had washed, thankfully all you had to do now was hang them up to dry.

You picked up one of the shirts and stepped forwards to hang it up. As you stepped forwards, you suddenly went dizzy and had to brace yourself against the table. Clenching the shirt in one hand, you used the other hand to hold onto the edge of the table.

Leaning against the table, you tossed the shirt back into the basket while you tried to focus your vision and keep your balance. You tried to sit down on one of the chairs at the table but everything just went black.

Dutch had been watching you since you walked back into the camp, he had been waiting for you to finish your extra chores so that he could ask you to join him for a drink.

You placed the basket on the table and picked up one of the shirts, you had been working too hard today and he didn't like it at all. Then Dutch saw you brace yourself against the table. He almost instantly frowned to himself, something was wrong.

Dutch was about to walk over to you to check if everything was alright but then you just collapsed, crumbling to the ground. The sound of the chair falling over and you hitting the floor caught the attention of most people in the gang. When everyone who saw you laying on the ground, they rushed over to you. This included Dutch.

Dutch pushed past the others who were crowded around you, pulling them out of the way by their shoulders if he had too. When he got to you, Hosea was already kneeling beside you, checking your pulse and temperature.

"What happened?" Dutch asked as he stood over you and Hosea.

"I'm not sure. Probably heat or dehydration" Hosea told him, he couldn't see any other obvious reason for you to faint like that.

"Alright, lets get her out of the sun" Dutch nodded, trying to think of the best thing to do as he knelt down beside you. He carefully lifted you off of the ground, picking you up bridal style.

Everyone moved out of the way as Dutch told them to give you some space. He carried you back to his tent, making sure that your head was resting comfortably against his shoulder.

Dutch lay you down carefully on his bed, gently lowering your head down onto his pillow.

Hosea entered the tent shortly after Dutch with a glass of water, a bowl of water and a cloth, before placing it down on the bedside table.

"When she wakes up, make sure she gets a lot to drink and try to cool her down. I'll leave you be but shout if you need me" Hosea advised, knowing that Dutch would want to handle this alone. "She'll be okay" he assured his friend, patting Dutch's shoulder reassuringly before leaving the tent. Hosea closed the canvas behind him, leaving you both with privacy.