The Van der Linde Gang: Just Trying to Help

The Van der Linde Gang & Female Reader (about 14 years old)

Summary: While on a trip into town, you step in to protect a young girl which ends up getting you into a dangerous situation. When certain members of the gang find out, they are not happy.

Word Count: 2200

You, Dutch, Hosea, and Arthur had gone into town, having just recently set up camp outside Valentine. Small trips into the town had bee made before but the gang had only just become fully familiar with the area.

The four of you came to a halt in front of the general store, gathering around to talk.

"Look, we've just got to keep our heads down for a little while. Don't cause trouble, make a few connections, then we can get back to our usual regime" Dutch told the three of you with a confident smile.

"You mean causing trouble?" Hosea asked, giving his friend an amused look.

"If that's what you want to call it" Dutch shook his head, chuckling to himself.

"So is it really the best idea to be wandering around town?" Arthur asked. Didn't that just defeat the point?

"We'll be fine. We're just getting some supplies, we'll be out of here before anyone even sees us. Nobody around here will recognise us anyway" Dutch assured the younger man.

Getting bored of the conversation, you started to zone out and glance around the town. Your whole body tensed as you caught sight of some sort of commotion taking place down the alleyway opposite you all.

There was a young girl, younger than you, you would guess about 8 or 9, cowering away from a rather large man. He must have been about Arthur's age but was also bigger than him. You frowned at the sight but then you saw the man grab her by the arm, you knew that you had to do something.

You slipped away from the three men you were with, walking over to the man and the little girl. Nobody noticed that you had left their side.

"Hey, excuse me" you interrupted them as you stepped into the alleyway, walking towards them. They both looked at you, the man looking annoyed while the girl looked scared. "Do you know this man?" you asked the girl gently, ignoring the man who was now looking at you with a firm glare.

"N-no" the girl muttered, shaking her head. Now you had no doubt in your mind about what was happening here.

Knowing that you couldn't hesitate for too long, you threw a punch and managed to hit the man right in the nose. Since he was bent over to get closer to the girl, you didn't have to reach up to hit him. You also probably had a slight advantage at first since nobody expects to be punched, especially that hard, by a 14 year old girl. You had caught him off guard.

"Little bitch" the man snarled as he reached out for you, grabbing your arm and tossing you to the floor. However, you managed to grab hold of his shirt and pull him down with you. You just wanted to give the girl enough time to run away but she seemed to be frozen, she wasn't moving.

Arthur, Dutch and Hosea heard the sound of a young girl screaming and some sort of commotion happening nearby. They glanced around and noticed that you weren't beside them, panicking slightly they looked towards the screaming and saw you fighting a man while a young girl cried beside you both.

Without a moment of hesitation, the three of them hurried over to you.

The man was on top of you now, considering he was so much stronger than you he got the advantage quickly. He had his forearm pressed against your throat, pinning you down.

As soon as he was near you both, Arthur grabbed the man by the shoulder. He managed to pull his weight off of you a little bit but he was a large, heavy man. Arthur wouldn't be able to move him on his own.