Javier Escuella: Reunion

Javier Escuella X Female Reader

Summary: It's been twelve years since the gang fell apart, you and John have been tasked with tracking down some old friends. The mission leads to you reuniting with the man you once loved. Can you and Javier move on from what happened?

Word Count: 4000

You still had nightmares about that day, the day that the gang officially fell apart and you had to choose your sides. It broke your heart to see him standing opposite you instead of standing by your side, it just wasn't right. You didn't blame him, not really. You knew that he was wrong but he was just trying to cling onto what he had, a family, he was just trying to be loyal. He felt like he owed Dutch so he stayed loyal. What broke you was that he let you walk away, he let you take Arthur's side and didn't question whether he should join you. 

Something that kept playing on your mind was how Javier held his gun that day. While everyone else was aiming at each other and arguing, Javier had his gun aimed at the sky. He was never going to shoot you, or Arthur, or John, you just knew that he wouldn't have shot any of you. 

That left you with a feeling of hope and you hated him for that, for so long you still thought that you could meet again, talk and forgive each other, that things could go back to normal.

That hope started to fade. It's been years since that day. Surely, you would never see Javier again.

Then, out of nowhere, John Marston asked for your help. He had been tasked with tracking down some old friends. Bill Williamson, Dutch Van der Linde, and Javier Escuela. John just wanted your help finding them, knowing that you were capable, plus you had remained friends with the Marston family after everyone left.

John knew that it would dig up old wounds for you but still had to ask. Your chest had tightened at the familiar name. He was alive, he was in Mexico, and you could find him. So, you agreed to go and help John. You knew that his task was to arrest them and you didn't know if you would be able to do that but the thought of getting to see him again, of getting to see how he got away, you couldn't resist.

So you and John started your mission. And that mission started in New Austin, were you met with Bill Williamson, only for John to end up getting shot. Thankfully, he healed up nicely. It really was starting to remind you of the old days. Sometime after he was healed you both worked to put an end to Bill's new gang but it turned out that he escaped the previous morning. No luck there.

The journey then took you to Nuevo Paraiso. Apparently this was were Bill had run off too, it was also thought that Bill had gone to join Javier there. You couldn't help but feel nervous as you wandered the area with John.

Another day of searching and coming up with nothing. You and John were done for the day, too tired and frustrated to continue until morning. You would get a fresh start then. 

The pair of you ended up in a little dusty town, nothing special but it had vacant rooms to rent for the night so it was good enough. Maybe you would even get a bath.

"Beginning to think that this is pointless" John sighed as you both climbed the stairs that lead towards the rooms. 

"I know but we can't give up" you sighed as well, just ready to bathe and get some sleep.

"Y'know...if this is too difficult for you, I would understand" he assured, glancing at you to make sure that he hadn't overstepped.

"I'm fine, I want to help you and your family. You all did so much for me after the gang fell apart, it's the least I can do" you promised him with a small smile.

"And I appreciate that but...you and Javier left a lot in the air. I know it's been a long time but do you really know how you are going to react when you see him?" John asked as you both came to a stop outside of his room door.