Arthur Morgan: Flowers

Arthur Morgan X Female Reader

Summary: A simple collection of floral themed gifts suddenly turns out to mean much more that Arthur could have ever expected.

Word Count: 2600

Arthur stepped into his tent, just wanting to crash for the night. His tiring day was instantly lightened by a simple blue flower sitting on his cot, just waiting for him. He carefully picked up the little flower as he sat down on the edge of his cot.

Looking up from the flower his gaze landed on you through the open canvas of his tent. All you were doing was walking through the camp but you were still the most beautiful woman he had ever seen. When you glanced over in his direction, accidentally making eye contact with him, and then proceeded to smile at him, Arthur just melted. He returned the smile, pretty sure that he was blushing but he tried to ignore it.

You had been a member of the gang since Blackwater. You were a little quiet but friendly, quickly getting along with everyone in the camp. Yet you seemed to form a deeper bond with Arthur, the two of you becoming good friends and enjoying each other's company over anyone else's.

Arthur didn't really want to admit it to himself but after so long it became impossible to deny it to himself. He had developed feelings for you, very strong feelings for you. Whenever you were around, Arthur found himself smiling like an idiot. Whenever Arthur was at the camp, he was with you, the two of you talking the night away or just enjoying each other's quiet company.

When Arthur helps members of the gang, usually retrieving items for them, that gang member would pay him in someway. Sometimes it was in cash, other times he would find items left for him in his tent. He didn't mind, though he never asked for payment from them. Usually the little rewards he would receive were practical things that he could use everyday. Charles often left handmade arrows for him, others left less personalised payment such as cash, ammunition, or tonics. Hosea occasionally leaves him new journals, figuring that he must work through them pretty quick.

You hadn't asked for anything from Arthur before. The only time you did was when Tilly got sick and you had to take over for her chores as well, so you didn't have much time to get out of the camp. You had asked Arthur to collect some sort of plant that apparently had healing properties. He knew that you had a vast knowledge of flowers and plants, it was a passion of yours, and he liked that a lot.

The day after retrieving the plant for you, Arthur returned to his tent to find a pick flower waiting for him. He couldn't help but smile because he knew it was from you, who else would leave such a gift? He thought that it was your way of saying thank you, a one time thing unless he ran another errand for you, but he was wrong. Everyday he came back to his tent and was greeted with a new flower, usually flowers that he had never seen before. As if you knew that he wouldn't recognised these flowers, you would leave a note with the name of the plant on it but that was all.

Arthur loved your gifts and loved you for knowing about this side of him, the side of him that admired nature and was somewhat fascinated in the beauty of it. You were clearly so nonjudgmental about it, accepting and encouraging this part of him. He wanted to talk to you about it but you never mentioned it so he never got the courage to bring it up either.

He adored your little gifts but was never truly sure what to do with them, all he knew was that he wanted to keep them. So he took one of the empty journals that Hosea had given him and started keeping the flowers in there, tying the book up securely so that he could take them on his journeys. It was like taking a little piece of you with him.

These gifts, your sweetness and kindness, only made Arthur fall more in love with you and he didn't even realise that it was possible. However, he knew that you were just being kind, showing kindness through a passion of yours. You probably didn't even think about it, just thought he might appreciate it...you could never love him back so he continued to say nothing.