Kieran Duffy: Kindness Part 3

Kieran Duffy X Female Reader

Summary: A boring night of scouting out a cabin ends in a way that Kieran would never have predicted.

Word Count: 2100

Kieran finished collecting his things and preparing the horses, making sure to triple check everything. He just wanted to make sure that he didn't leave anything behind, he didn't want to mess anything and make a fool of himself in front of you.

Once he was ready, he waited by the horses, waiting for you. It was time to head out but he hadn't seen you, had you forgotten?

Kieran figured that you were still in your tent, so that's where he headed. He walked over, shyly standing outside. Should he say something or just leave? He didn't want to intrude or seem to needy. Taking a breath, he pulled the canvas to the side.

"uh, Y/n? Kieran attempted to get your attention, standing in the entrance of your tent. "You ready to go?" he asked, preparing himself for rejection.

"Yeah, I was just about to meet you by the horses" you nodded, smiling at him as you finished pulling on your jacket. "Ready?" you asked as you straightened out your clothes.

Kieran just nodded, earning another smile from you, before the two of you walked over to the horses. You mounted up and it wasn't long before you were both riding out of the camp and towards the cabin that you were meant to be checking out.

"How are you feeling? Your first job and all that?" you asked, striking up conversation as you rode beside each other.

"Good, thank you for bringing me along" Kieran thanked you, sometimes it felt like all he did was thank you recently.

"You seriously need to stop thanking me, especially this time. It's not like I'm doing you a favour, I just wanted your company on the job" you shrugged.

"Still...I appreciate that you chose me" he couldn't help but smile slightly. You wanted his company.

"Anytime" you returned his smile.

The two of you rode for a little longer, off of the main road and onto a dirt road, before abandoning the dirt road to move among the trees.

"Alright, we should continue on foot" you decided once you found a safe place to hitch the horses. Kieran didn't say anything in response, only nodded, before the two of you dismounted your horses and hitched them.

Kieran followed you through the trees, the two of you staying as quiet as possible. Finally you began to approach the edge of the trees, both of you crouching down beside each other to stay out of sight as you observed the cabin.

"It doesn't look very homey" you commented, taking in the sight of the abandoned cabin that was swarming with O'Driscolls.

"It's the O'Driscolls, 'course it doesn't" Kieran shrugged, suppressing the shiver that threatened to run through his spine at the memories of the O'Driscolls.

"...do you recognise any of them?" you asked carefully. You had thought about the possibility of him knowing some of them before you asked him to join you, you just hoped that it wouldn't bother him.

"No...I wasn't exactly popular with the O'Driscolls. You all treat me better than they did and Bill keeps threatening to geld me" Kieran frowned, keeping his gaze on the cabin instead of looking at you.

"He wouldn't actually do it, y'know. He's just got a messed up sense of humour" you assured him, offering him a sympathetic smile.

"You're telling me" Kieran mumbled, making you laugh quietly.