Hosea Matthews: Wrong Turn

Hosea Matthews & Daughter Reader

Summary: You accidentally stumble upon the Van der Linde camp. Who knew it would lead to you finding the exact thing that you had been searching for.

Word Count: 2200

You rode along the dirt road, keeping an eye out for the town you had been directed too. You gave your horse a reassuring pat even though you were the one who needed reassuring, it was getting dark out and that was making you nervous. It was getting dark, you seemed to be surrounded by trees, and there was still no town in sight.

You knew that your task wouldn't be an easy one and that it would require a lot of travelling, you were pretty much following and tracking danger. Still, you weren't equipped for this. The sooner you reached the town, the better.

Your horse came to a startled halt when a man stepped out in front of you, holding a rifle in his hands. He was a heavyset man with a bushy beard and brown hair, his clothes were a little dirty and he wore a heavy looking brown coat to shelter him from the cool evening breeze. Just one look at him and you knew that he was trouble, that he wasn't an upstanding member of society. You were in some sort of danger.

"Who are you? What are you doing here?" the man asked, his voice as aggressive as his glare.

"Oh...uh...I, I'm sorry, I don't want any trouble. I was just trying to get to town...perhaps I took the wrong turn" you assured him, nervously glancing around to see if there was anywhere you could run off too.

"We don't get people coming down here by accident" he informed you, seeming as if he didn't believe your story.

"I really don't know how you are, I really don't mean any harm" you tried to assure him again but he didn't seem to care much.

"I still gotta take ya in. If it really is an accident, you'll be free to go" the man assured you but you didn't feel reassured at all. What did he mean by all of that?

"Please, I-" you started, hoping that he would have mercy, but he didn't let you finish.

"Get down from the horse" the man ordered and you knew that you had to do as he said.

So, you dismounted your horse. He didn't give you a chance to do anything else as he wrapped his hand around your upper arm so that he could start pulling you further down the road until a camp came into view.

The amount of people you could see in the camp made you nervous but seeing a group of women talking and laughing among themselves actually made you relax a little.

The man, who was holding your arm, continued to drag you along with him. He walked you further into the camp and towards a man with slicked back black hair, he was standing outside of a larger tent in the middle of the camp.

"Bill, who's this?" the new man asked the man who was dragging you towards him. Apparently the man holding onto your arm in a vice like grip was named Bill.

"Found her just outside the camp, riding right in" Bill told the man, who you guessed was in charge around here.

"Let her go, I'll speak to her" the dark haired man assured Bill. Bill just nodded and let go of your arm before walking away from you, mumbling something to himself.

"Sir, I really didn't know about this place. I was just trying to find the town but I think I took a wrong turn" you explained, hoping that his man would believe you more than the other one.

"Relax, you aren't in any trouble. Bill can get a little worked up but you don't seem like you're here for us" the man assured you, making you relax a little bit.