Mary-Beth Gaskill: Domestic Bliss

Mary-Beth Gaskill X Male Reader

Summary: A look into your life with Mary-Beth after leaving the Van der Linde gang.

Word Count: 900

You lent your shoulder against the doorway and crossed your arms over your chest as you watched the woman work, a fond smile on your face. She was sitting at her desk, probably not even noticing that you were watching her, as she wrote with purpose. You had always admired her passion. There had been days, long before you stood where you standing today, were you would just listen to her talk about her favourite novels or even novels that she didn't enjoy so much. Then again, you could listen to her talk about anything.

"Sweetheart, are you coming to bed?" you asked from your place in the doorway.

"Yes...soon, I just have to finish this part" Mary-Beth nodded, glancing at you quickly before turning her attention back to the papers in front of her.

You smiled as you pushed yourself away from the doorway. You walked further into the room and walked around the desk, stopping behind Mary-Beth and watching her work over her shoulder. You loved watching her write or talk about literature, she was just so passionate about it.

After leaving the Van der Linde gang and starting a more honest life together, you had been so proud of her for publishing her first novel. You knew that she was a talented author and you were so glad that other people could see that as well.

"Alright, I'm done" Mary-Beth smiled, leaning back in her chair.

"Do you mind?" you asked, gesturing towards the papers.

"I don't know, it's not ready to read" Mary-Beth sighed but you were sure it would be wonderful just like all her writing was.

"Not even me?" you asked, giving her your best puppy-dog eyes.

"Well how can I say no to you when you look at me like that?" Mary-Beth asked, making both of you laugh. "Alright, just be kind" she nodded, letting you read what she had just been working on.

You picked up the papers and began to read over them. "Wonderful, as always" you complimented, making her smile. "Y'know...she kind of sounds like Susan" you thought out loud.

"Who?" Mary-Beth asked curiously.

"Your protagonist...I don't know, she just kind of reminds me of her" you smiled fondly as you continued to read.

"...I like to base some of my characters off of people I know, at least to start out with" Mary-Beth confessed.

You knew that one of the novels she had been working on was based on the two of you, it had been taking her so long because she wanted to make it perfect. You knew that it would be.

"She was a good women, I can see why you chose to base your character off of her" you hummed.

"She would've called it silly" Mary-Beth rolled her eyes, making you chuckle slightly.

"Perhaps...but she would've loved it really" you assured her. You knew that Susan would have called it pointless or nonsensical but you also knew that she would have secretly loved it, even be honoured to be thought of so highly.

"Do you think?" Mary-Beth asked, perking up a little bit.

"No, I know" you promised her, earning a bright smile from her.

"Come on, I think I'm ready for bed" Mary-Beth told you as she stood from her chair. You smiled as you placed the papers back down on the desk.

You took her hand in yours as she lent in to press a kiss to your cheek, before you both walked to the bedroom.

You both got changed into your sleep clothes as you prepared for bed. You sat on the edge of the bed and were soon joined by Mary-Beth. She knelt behind you and wrapped her arms around your neck, pressing a kiss to your temple.

You gently took hold of her hand and brought it to your lips, kissing her knuckles and smiling when you saw the wedding band on her finger. You looked over your shoulder, receiving a sweet kiss from her almost immediately.

The two of you climbed into the bed, making yourselves comfortable as you lay facing each other. Mary-Beth smiled affectionately before shifting closer, letting you wrap your arms around her frame and hold her against your chest.

"I love you" Mary-Beth whispered, sounding as if she was already falling asleep.

"I love you too" you kissed the top of her head before closing your eyes, the two of you falling asleep in each other's arms.

-----

The next morning you were in the kitchen, making a simple breakfast for you both. "Smells good" Mary-Beth commented from behind you, not surprising you too much.

"Good, so I hope you're hungry" you looked over your shoulder and grinned at her. You turned back to what you were doing as you put the food onto two plates. "I thought we could go for dinner tonight" you suggested as you turned around with a plate in each hand.

This time she surprised you by having approached you. As soon as you were facing her, she gently took your face in her hands and kissed you. Of course, you kissed her back.

"You're wonderful, you know that?" Mary-Beth asked, tracing her fingertips against your cheeks.

"Of course I do" you smiled, making her laugh and shake her head at you.

You pressed a kiss to her forehead before walking around her and placing the plates on the dining table, the two of you sitting down to eat.

Your life had been filled with hardships and crime which introduced you to the Van der Linde gang, to Mary-Beth. It had broke both of your hearts to see the gang gradually collapsing in on itself but in the end you wound up with something you never thought you would achieve. Domestic bliss with the woman you loved. You were making an honest income now and were living comfortably. She had offered you a life that you always thought would be out of reach for someone like you. As long as you had Mary-Beth by your side, you wanted nothing more.

Requests?