Kieran Duffy: Kindness

Kieran Duffy X Female Reader

Summary: the camp has been tough on Kieran and you want to show him some kindness.

Word Count: 2100

Kieran hasn't exactly had the most welcoming experience in the Van der Linde camp, you knew that for sure.

Since he joined the gang and was let down from the tree, Bill had threatened him with gelding, twice. Sean just seemed to enjoy threatening him, he once threatened Kieran for apparently saying Colm's name incorrectly and headbutted him just for the sake of it. Javier had threatened him once or twice, constantly questioning how loyal he was to them. Sadie hated him because she hates all O'Driscolls, she threatened him almost every time he walked past her. Then everyone else would constantly call him O'Driscoll and tease him, which bothered him greatly.

You felt bad for Kieran. You knew that he was a goodhearted man, that he wouldn't hurt a fly. You just thought that he deserved to be treated better, he had already been through so much.

And for Kieran...sometimes it all just became too much, why couldn't they just leave him be?

-----

You knew that Kieran would be with the horses, just like he always was, so that's where you headed. He had been having a rough week, the others had been particularly hard on him, and you just wanted to show him some kindness.

"Leave me alone" you heard Kieran's voice as you approached him, you noticed that he sounded more tired than angry. You couldn't help but frown, who was bothering him this time?

As you got closer to the horses you saw Jack standing there as well, throwing rocks at Kieran. "Jack, what are you doing?" you asked as you got closer, looking down at the young boy.

"Throwing rocks at the O'Driscoll" Jack told you. Well, at least he was honest.

"And why are you doing that?" you asked, shaking your head at him. Kieran glanced at you before turning his attention back to the horse, this was just embarrassing.

"Because he's an O'Driscoll...everyone always said that was bad" Jack shrugged, picking up another rock.

"And normally it is, but not this one. Kieran isn't an O'Driscoll" you sighed as you took the rock from his hand, dropping it to the floor before he could throw it at the poor man.

"But-" Jack began to argue but you didn't let him.

"No 'buts'. Leave Kieran alone, okay?" you raised your eyebrow at him, looking down at him seriously.

"Okay" Jack sighed in defeat.

"Good, now go find your mother and I won't tell her what you were doing" you promised. You knew that Jack was only doing what he thought was right or normal, but he still had to learn that Kieran wasn't the enemy.

"Thanks, Y/n!" Jack thanked you for promising not to tell his parents before he ran away to find Abigail.

"You alright?" you asking, turning to Kieran once Jack was out of sight.

"I'm getting bullied by a kid, that's a whole new low" Kieran mumbled to himself, still focusing on his horse and refusing to look at you.

"Thanks for not yelling at him or anything, he isn't a bad kid. You know how kids are, they only know what they are taught. And he was taught to throw rocks at O'Driscolls...and that you're an O'Driscoll" you smiled gently, placing your hand on his arm.

"But, I ain't-" he sighed, about to deny being an O'Driscoll for the millionth time today.

"I know...I know and he will learn that. The others will see that as well" you assured him, dropping your hand back down to your side.