The Van der Linde Gang: Protective Part 2

The Van der Linde Gang & Modern Female Reader
Arthur Morgan X Modern Female Reader

Summary: Dutch and Hosea's protectiveness lead to them trying to steer you and Arthur away from each other once they realise how close you are getting. But it seems that their efforts are in vain.

Word Count: 1300

Hosea always said to not jinx a good thing, to not make the fatal mistake of saying things along the lines of 'well, things can't get any worse' because things will always get worse after that. When you say that something won't happen, it seems more likely that it will. Dutch tended to agree with this but sometimes he just couldn't watch his own mouth. 

"Arthur is harmless...mostly" Dutch hummed. "He probably wouldn't make a move if she threw herself at him" he said. Hosea chuckled a little, nodding along. Dutch was probably right about that.

They hadn't listened to their own advice. They claimed that Arthur wouldn't make a move on you, that he wouldn't be able to sweep you of your feet. It appears that they had been wrong.

Dutch and Hosea watched, that's all they could do, as you and Arthur talked. He would make you laugh and that would make him smile, you would make each other blush and it would have been rather sweet to watch if the two men weren't so protective over you. In all honesty, it was hard to watch. Watching Arthur try to flirt with you was like watching a teenager fumbling around the girl he liked. Yet, you seemed to be responding to it, flirting back and enjoying his company. 

Now, the two men didn't think Arthur was a bad man. Logically they knew that he cared for you and would treat you well, there were certainly less desirable men you could have started showing an interest in, but they were a little too protective of you. Ever since they found out about you being from the future, a time so different to theirs, they vowed to keep an eye on you. Unfortunately, that meant your love life as well. 

"Arthur" Dutch called as he walked over to you both, making you both turn to him. "Could you do me a favour and run into town for me?" he asked.

"Sure" Arthur nodded, a little confused about the sudden request but decided not to question it.

"Want me to come with you?" you looked up at Arthur.

"Yea-" Arthur began to answer, a smile growing on his face, until he was interrupted.

"Actually, I need Miss L/n here for something" Hosea told you both.

"Oh...okay. I'll see you later then, Arthur" you nodded, offering him a small smile.

"See you later" Arthur nodded back at you before walking away with Dutch.

"So, what do you need?" you turned to Hosea, smiling at him.

"Give me a moment? I just need to speak with Dutch" Hosea asked. 

"Okay, sure. Just come get me when you need me" you nodded, smiling before walking away from him. 

As Hosea walked over to Dutch, Arthur was already walking towards the horses with his new task in mind.

"This is rather childish, Dutch" Hosea sighed, grabbing his friend's attention.

"I don't like how judgemental you sound, Hosea" Dutch raised an eyebrow at him.

"I just think they're going to get suspicious eventually" Hosea shrugged, knowing that Dutch wouldn't be easy to convince.

"They don't know, don't worry about it" Dutch attempted to assure him.

"If we keep interrupting them whenever they get close to each other, they are going to figure it out" Hosea warned.