Chapter 125

Chapter 125

The mer family ate dinner together in the dining hall. Jenny was feeling a lot better now that she had had the later part of the afternoon safe at home. There was a tangible sense of relief in the atmosphere. When the kids had got home, they hugged Jenny tight and a few tears were shed. They were all feeling overwhelmed that it could have been them.

"I'm glad they're doing OK" Cleo said, looking over at the far end of the table where the kids were eating together, laughing and being silly. They appeared to have bounced back quickly from the emotional whiplash.

In contrast, there was a strong feeling of tension amongst the adults.
"What do we do about Ryan and this Katya lady?" Rikki asked.
"Is there much we can do? It might be worse to try to get it back," Emma said. "They might be waiting with a trap. It's too dangerous,"
"And then even if we do escape the trap, maybe they could successfully get more biological samples from us first. Any scientist with DNA samples from more than one source have the evidence to garner wider interest. That's the last thing we need," Cleo added. "As much as I want to get them back for taking Jenny, I don't know if it is worth it,"

Lewis nodded his agreement.

"While that is true, that doesn't completely answer the question of 'what do we do now'" Bella commented. "Do we hide? Do we just go about life as normal? Do we fight back? What next?"

"I think we wait it out," Anna suggested. "Fighting back might get them to release the evidence sooner than later – we'd be better to monitor the situation but not put ourselves in any more risk."

"We're already at risk," Rikki said in a strained but quiet tone, not wanting the children to overhear. "Ryan knows who we are, the routes that we take to work or school. Heck, he probably even knows about Mako!"

They all felt their sudden spike of anxiety. There was a moment of tense silence.

"Do we hide then? Go back to the mainland?" Emma asked.

"Maybe that could be good," Will said. "That way we can wait out the heat, keep everyone safe, and then be able to come back here and get back to normal,"

"But we don't know how long 'the heat' will be an issue," Bella interjected.

"And being on the mainland doesn't necessarily keep us safe. It probably wouldn't take much to find out where Jenny goes to school, and also, she isn't the only target," Cleo said sadly, gesturing between herself and Rikki.

"While it may not be safer, it might be safer for the secret," Lewis said apologetically. "Imagine if they got photos of our village somehow then linked it to mermaids– our houses aren't exactly made of run of the mill materials,"

"Definitely not ideal," Rikki frowned. There was another beat.

"We know that Ryan isn't taken seriously in this field otherwise you'd already be outed. It is this Katya woman that is the threatening player," Lewis said.

"Can we find out more information on her somehow?" Ash asked.

"There's probably lots on Google," Cleo said. "Once all the kids are in bed, let's have a look and talk about this again then,"

"Sounds good," Emma agreed.

OoOoO

Cleo pulled the covers up over Jenny, and leaned over to kiss her cheek.

"Goodnight honey," she said gently.

"Goodnight," Jenny replied quietly, a brave smile on her face.