Development

Chapter 64

Charlie was flying, being transported somewhere beyond her control. What was a split second felt like hours. During this time, she hoped with all her might that she would arrive home and not be trapped teleporting all over the world.

She felt herself be reconstructed and she felt her feet touching solid ground. She was still on fire. Suddenly she was teetering. She was extinguished as she fell back into the water with an almighty splash – being extinguished is an unpleasant feeling for anyone who has the privilege of being a mythical creature. Charlie recognised her surroundings and the people in them as she surfaced.

“I’m back!” she exclaimed with joy. The other mermaids and mermen were looking on in shock. It was another sudden shock to add to the list from the last twenty-four hours. Charlie began to pull her mermaid self out of the moon pool. By the time Rikki had realised her daughter was back safe and sound, Charlie was out of the pool. As soon as recognition hit, she tackled her, launching herself onto her daughter – not quite registering the consequences. Firstly, Charlie let out a grunt of winded pain from the weight landing on top of her tail. Secondly, Rikki transformed from the water droplets on her daughter’s skin. Rikki did not care – her daughter was safe. She did not let go as Charlie dried them both off. She clung tight stroking Charlie’s hair.

“I’m so glad you’re okay,” she whispered, still embracing her as they sat up.

“Me too, Mum.” Charlie replied.

“When you just disappeared like that, I didn’t know what to do…” she rambled.

It was a touching sight – Rikki was not usually this phased by anything and not usually this emotional. Emma, Bella, Cleo and Anna – the women who knew her better than anyone knew that as her children had gotten older, her stiff façade had begun to weaken.

“It’s okay Mum,” Charlie comforted her mother. Leila had now joined the group huddle.

After Charlie was released, they stood up and she told her story.

OoOoO

“That’s similar to my story,” Eric said, “I teleported – if you can call it that- to the ice box in the kitchen – ice covered everything. Maybe when we teleport, we have to go to somewhere where the element we control is. Jenny, you said that you were in the bath and then all of a sudden you were in the moon pool before you got moonstruck – maybe you teleported by accident like us – to another place with water.”

“You may be onto something,” Emma said.

“It’s logical.” Bella said, “Did you three notice anything else?” she continued.

“My body was engulfed in fire when I was transported – also I was using my powers each time I initiated it.” Charlie said.

“I was covered in ice,” Eric said.

“And I was in the bath…” Jennifer trailed off.

“I wonder if I can teleport.” Leila asked.

“You may be able to – it seems like a pattern throughout you all.” Emma said.

“It’s risky,” Bella said.

“How about we hold off on teleporting for a bit - trial other powers instead. Hopefully this won’t initiate teleporting.” Emma suggested.

“Jake, since you’re here now, why don’t you give it a try?” Rikki suggested. Jacob moved forward and stretched out his hand towards the moon pool. Soon it was covered in a thick layer of jelly. Suddenly, the earth began to shake.

“Earthquake!” Jennifer yelled.

“Get down and cover your heads!” Emma instructed. Coincidently, as soon as Jacob stopped using his powers, the earthquake stopped also. Bella looked at her son with a puzzled expression.

“Jakey, try your powers again.” She said to him. At first, nothing happened, then the shaking re-started.

“Am I causing that?” Jake asked.

“I…yes.” Bella said after a moment’s hesitation. Blocking the kids out, Bella communicated to Emma and Rikki; ‘Our kids’ powers are outranking ours now,’ she said with a laugh.

It’s amazing right? And dangerous. I wonder what has caused this development.’ Rikki said.

OoOoO

By the end of the trialling session, many new things had been discovered. Jennifer, Leila, Charlie and Eric could create their element without water – shooting it from the hands. It was typical comic book style. Assumingly, the could also teleport as long as the place they were going to had traces of their element. There was still flames from Charlie’s departure when she returned half an hour later. Jacob could create earthquakes and the strength of his jelly had increased. This was discovered by Leila’s lightning bolt not penetrating it and Eric’s jumping on it like it was a trampoline without it breaking. In all honesty, he felt cheated – his friends could create their elements from mid-air and could teleport. He could only create earthquakes. What use did that have?

OoOoO

The group walked back up the village where the little ones were wreaking havoc. Ben and Will had not being overly successful in containing them until Anna arrived back home.

“Ben, could you get the purple book?” Rikki asked via mind speak on their way there.

The kids had been instructed not to use their powers until absolutely necessary just in case. The adults crowded around in book in the dining hall. They could find nothing on teleporting – the first time the book had failed them. All it said was how unknown power upgrades could be received from the moon pool on a full moon.

“How did we not see it before!” Will exclaimed while they were pondering.

“What!” many interested faces peered at him.

“Remember when the kids found that tunnel on the night of the full moon months ago? We thought nothing had come of them being in the moon pool – it must have been some kind of weird alignment or something.”

“Yeah! That explains why only they have been affected.” Bella said. “We should probably add to this book all the things we’ve experienced and details and info. on how to detail with things like this in the future.”

“But why did it take so long for these new powers to set into effect?” Anna asked.

Everyone was confused again.

A/N: Hey everyone! This is quite a quick update don't you think :P I hope you enjoyed it.

Thanks so much to FlorindaBrydon, redranger, LisaStypayhorlikson, Writerchick101, darshantz, AllisonDeVille, ScarletStar0240, and pinkicat201 - You guys are absolutely amazing!!!!!

Thanks also to the voters and people who have added this to their libraries and me to the favs. LOVE YOU ALL!