Chapter 109

Chapter 109

Rikki, Cleo, Emma and Khasha swam towards Ryan's boat. This could be a really bad idea...but this seemed to be their only option. While Rikki, Cleo and Emma swam with determined expressions on their faces, Khasha appeared nervous. She was scared of the necklace's power. What might it do to them?

OoOoO

"What does your mermaid friend do?" Ryan asked Jessie

"She is an architect," Jessie replied.

"You work together?" Ryan questioned.

Jessie nodded with a frown. How was this information even relevant to the situation?

"So you live like a human?" Ryan asked – he seemed floored by this concept.

Jessie nodded.

"In pretty much every way," she replied. At this moment, Jessie noticed steam rising up outside one of the far windows. She had mixed feelings: her friends had come to try and save her. On one hand, she was happy and excited that she could be rescued, but on the otherhand, what if they all ended up controlled? What would become of their children? She tried to stop herself from dwelling on this, and focused on the fact that something was about to go down.

OoOoO

Cleo used the water to gently lift each mermaid up and onto the boat without making it rock too much, and then lifted herself up with the same method. Rikki dried them off with ease and they started to move slowly towards the cabin door.

'I'll go in first and try and persuade him, if any fighting starts, come in to help' Cleo said bravely into the other mermaids' minds. They all nodded.

"I can't wait to share all this with all the people who doubted me," Ryan said with a laughed to Jessie as Cleo rounded the corner. 'He won't be sharing anything if I can help it,' Cleo thought. A floorboard creaked too loudly as she moved towards the doorway. Cleo grimaced but it was too late. Ryan's head whipped around to the source of the sound.

"Jessie, defend me," he declared. Immediately, the reluctant mermaid stood up and had her powers at the ready.

"Ryan, I just want to talk," Cleo called out. She had her hands up as she came into view, moving through the doorway.

"Cleo?" Ryan was gobsmacked. "What are you doing here?"

"Rikki needs that necklace," she said, "We've already talked about this,"

"That doesn't explain why you are here, on my boat, in the middle of the night," Ryan said, eyebrow raised. "It makes no sense unless..." he trailed off, his brow furrowed. His eyes widened. "Unless you are one of them,"

When Cleo didn't reply straight away, Ryan continued.

"How else would you have followed my boat or boarded without me hearing the sound of another motor...why else would you have lied to me about that Mako Island rock all those years ago! Wait, why aren't you denying it?" he asked, confused.

Cleo shook her head and shrugged.

"You're right – there is no reason to deny it," she said.

With the hand behind her back, Cleo had been controlling a water tentacle, one that was in position to remove the necklace from Ryan. Using the moment of Ryan's disbelief and shock, she commanded the water to attempt to lift it off his neck quickly.

The water tentacles quickly pulled the necklace away, but Ryan's reflexes were too quick.

"Oh no you don't," he exclaimed. "Stop!" he commanded Cleo.