Chapter 114

Chapter 114

Cleo and Emma dropped the children off at school the next morning. Cleo arranged to meet with Andy's classroom teacher, Mrs Mara Green. Mrs Green taught all of the older mer-children as well so she knew the families well.

"Hi Mara, how are you this morning?" Cleo greeted her.

"I'm well thank you, dear" Mrs Green replied with a kind smile. Mrs Green was dressed appropriately for her name. She was a short woman with grey hair, wearing a lovely green skirt and cardigan. "How can I help you?"

"I wanted to talk about Andy," Cleo said. "I have reason to believe that some of Andy's friends are being mean to her. Andy hasn't given me any specific details, but whatever it is, it's making Andy not want to come to school,"

"Ah," Mrs Green nodded. "Thanks for letting me know. I have an idea of who might be the ringleader in this. I'll talk to the class about the importance of using our kind words and gentle hands today, and pair Andy with a buddy over the next few days so she isn't by herself during the breaks,"

"Thank you, I appreciate that," Cleo said. "And what will happen if it doesn't improve?"

"I think we'll leave that discussion until we have a better understanding of what is going on, and see if these strategies work first," Mrs Green smiled kindly. "Myself and the duty teachers during breaks will keep an eye on Andy, and see if we can uncover the bigger picture."

Cleo thanked Mrs Green, and returned to the playground. She gave Andy a big hug and a few words of encouragement before she left for work.

OoOoO

Mrs Green's discussion with the class appeared to help.

Mrs Green buddied Andy up with Evelynn in class, and asked Evelynn to play with Andy. So that Andy did not feel singled-out, Mrs Green buddied each classmate up into pairs as well. Evelynn, or 'Evie,' as she was called, was a sweet little girl with dark brown hair. She was quiet but kind and fiercely loyal.

In the days following, Andy came home from school over the next few days smiling and talking all about the craft project she was working on with Evie. Jennifer had seen Andy and Evie playing together on the space-hoppers at lunchtime.

OoOoO

"You look excited Andy," Cleo commented as she handed her daughter her homework. Andy put it in her bag. Everyone was getting ready for school.

Andy retrieved her green, yellow and blue coloured sandbag lizard and put that into her bag as well.

"I am," Andy said, "Evie is going to bring her lizard to school. She said hers is purple, pink, blue AND orange! My Lizzie and her Betty are going to be friends," Andy smiled, "We are planning on playing hide and seek with our lizards today,"

"That sounds like fun," Cleo said with a smile, "Make sure not to let Lizzie and Betty get lost,"

"We won't. We can look after them, Mum," Andy replied earnestly.

"Of course you can, silly me!" Cleo said. "I'll have to meet Evelynn someday, since you two are becoming good friends,"

"Yeah," Andy nodded, grinning.

"We're all ready!" Emma called from outside.

"Got everything?" Cleo asked Andy and Jennifer. The two girls nodded.

"Great," Cleo said. "So are we!" Cleo called out to Emma. "Let's go,"

OoOoO

Jenny was happy – the protective older sister feeling. Andy appeared to be doing much better. She would have to thank Evie one day. The ten year old smiled as she walked across the field to the area in the junior school where Andy and Evie had been having lunch most days. As she got closer, she noticed that Evie was by herself.