Chapter 134

Chapter 134

A wave of excitement flowed over Katya. They were in! There would be a lot to sort out before publishing, but they were keen to give her proposal a try.

"You mentioned legal safety?" Emma asked Katya.

"Y-yes," Katya gathered her thoughts. "We can meet with my lawyer Vera to draw up the relevant documentation, and we -Vera and I - can start working on approaching the appropriate organisations to help with giving mers a protected status – to cause serious legal consequences for exploiting or hunting mers. It is all a huge unknown, so the only thing I can promise is that I will try my best to keep you safe,"

The mers nodded.

"So what is the next step?" Lewis asked.

"For this research to be accepted by the academic community, we need robust evidence and to be able to defend it. It would be amazing if you could participate in a research study – as in depth as you consent to. I would need to get some additional researchers on board to add validity to the project. Vera would be able to draw up non-disclosure agreements to keep the information confidential," Katya replied.

"On that note, we have some ideas about who could join you to help research," Lewis commented.

Katya looked at him, interested.

"Alan and I are marine biologists – we would be happy to help with the research side, but we don't need to be listed as contributers based on the possible attention that might draw. Also, Dr Linda Denman,"

"Dr Denman? You would like Dr Denman to help?" Katya asked surprised. "I know she was briefly interested in the mythical many years ago, but she has been focused on regular marine biology for some time now..."

"We have a complicated history," Cleo replied. "But, we are on good terms now – she is Alan's aunt,"

"Oh, cool," Katya replied. "Well, it would definitely be great to get her onboard – she is a well respected researcher in her field,"

"I'll ask her this week," Alan offered.

"Great. If we do the research and gather all the information, then we can decide what actually gets published in the written research paper. We need to meet with Vera first," Katya said. "Would you be okay with me inviting Vera here to Mako? Or would you prefer to meet her on the mainland?"

"I think we'd prefer to meet her first on the mainland, if that's ok?" Emma said.

"All good," Katya smiled. "I'll get that arranged,"

The 'serious meeting' section drew to a natural end, and Anna showed Katya around the Mako village. She explained how they had changed their building materials from water to regular human materials as a way of hiding from detection. Ryan had been a very real threat for exposing them. Katya understood but she felt slightly disappointed that she hadn't been able to see it. Anna must have sensed this- she pulled water from somewhere and in mid-air she moulded mini buildings in the layout of the village.

"It looked like this – just hardened and bigger of course," she smiled.

Katya stared, a smile widening across her face in awe of the magic.

"Wow," she stated, awestruck. "You are so cool,"

OoOoO

Some time later, Katya, Alan and Jessie left the mer village together. Alan and Jessie had agreed to help Katya with the way back to her boat – to save Anna walking there and back again. There was a comfortable silence as they walked, all of them deep in thought.