The Island...

Chapter 21

As the days passed by everyone became more and more anxious to see the return of three of the most important women in their lives. The trio’s husbands collectively decided to alert the police, after all their wives return to work was overdue and their bosses would soon be asking questions. The story was that the three women had been caught in a storm while driving their boat to the Bahamas. They had been lost off the grid. The police considered this sceptically and promised to do a search of the seas and islands around the Bahamas for any evidence of them. Their bosses were notified that their employees were missing at sea. Zane employed another two staff members to cover Rikki’s shifts.

Bella and Emma were acting as substitute mothers to the young kids, their fathers all distracted with worry. The whole village had a dampening aura, as if something important was missing; which of course was the case.

Back on the island the three women were also becoming more and more desperate to escape they would try and swim off twice a day exhausting themselves. Anna finally decided that it was futile, that they should go back to once a day. After all they were just tiring themselves out for no reason.

One week after the day they had found the crashed plane and skeleton, Rikki decided she’d had enough of moping around on the beach and would go back into the jungle.

“You coming Cleo?” Anna called

“Well...” she shrugged.

“We know where we are going this time,” Rikki said

“Fine.” Cleo agreed. “But only ‘cos I don't want to be left alone doing nothing...and ‘cos if Anna can go back into the jungle after what happened last week, I’m sure I can too,” she added in a small voice.

With that, Rikki, Cleo and Anna traipsed back into the jungle. They passed the crocodiles, quicksand and plane site without incident much to Cleo and Anna’s relief. After about a ten minute walk past the plane site, the dense trees seemed to be thinning out. Rikki stopped on the edge of the tree line.

“Wow.” She breathed. Anna and Cleo come to stand beside her. They both looked on with awe. Anna whistled.

They were looking at a large deep blue lagoon surrounded by tall trees, fruit trees on the far side, an outcrop of rocks surrounding it. It was really a sight to see. To the right the expanse of rocks continued for another ten metres before turning into dirt, grass and trees. A large hill protruded up beside the lagoon.

Rikki walked forward so that she stopped right in front of the beautiful lagoon. With a look back at her friends, she dived from the rocks straight into the pool. Anna and Cleo rushed forward. A mermaid Rikki projected herself powerfully from the water and twisted round in the air before splashing back down. This got water on the others, forcing them (not regretfully) into the water.

“This is amazing!” Rikki said. They had been living on the hot beach, swimming in warm ocean water for just over a week, the refreshing coolness of the fresh lagoon water revitalised them. After playing round for quite a while, they pulled themselves up onto the rocks and sunbathed as mermaids letting the warm sun dry them off. All the dirt, sweat and grime collected by them as they trekked through the jungle had rinsed of their human bodies by swimming as mermaids.

“We should definitely come back.” Rikki said.

“Agreed” Anna said.

The three of them got up and started walking over the rocks to the unexplored region.