...and on...

Chapter 37

"How is Saturday?" Lewis asked Alan

"I'm free. This is going to be great!"

"We'll go over and have lunch and there you can meet a few mermaids."

"Over...?"

"To Mako,"

"Why are we going to Mako?"

"It's where we live." Lewis replied,

"Live? Are you the rumoured millionaires who bought the island off the government?"

Lewis nodded.

"Oh, by the way, Rikki said if you told she'd roast you alive – and I can say she means this literally," Lewis said.

"Literally?"

"Mermaids have certain paranormal powers,"

"Oh." Alan said.

OoOoO

Alan anchored his boat in a bay that Lewis had described. He sat down on the sand and waited for his friend to arrive. A few minutes later Lewis emerged from the trees holding hands with Cleo. This was the first time Alan had seen her since before the revelation that she was a mermaid. Alan looked at her in a new light, he chastised himself however as it was obvious nothing about her had changed. She was a regular woman who looked about twenty years of age. She seemed nervous. Lewis had told him that he and Cleo had grown up together and were the same age; however, looking at them now, Lewis looked at least five years older...

'It must be a mermaid thing' Alan thought. He got up and went to greet them.

OoOoO

Over the years, everyone had learnt what to expect from humans seeing evidence of magic for the first time, the guests all had very similar reactions to their island village and the fact that they were all half fish.

Lewis and Cleo walked Alan up the well-worn path to the private section of Mako. His breath was taken away once he saw the peculiar buildings. At first, he had the same reaction but once Cleo explained how they were made he went over to feel the substance the walls were made of. Bella was more than happy explain what she thought it was. Alan had a more scientific approach to the whole thing. He started asking the same questions that Lewis had when he was younger.

"Mate, I've been trying to figure this out for years. A very wise old woman just told me to put it down to magic. It definitely saved me a lot of brain pain, believe me," Lewis said.

"I hear you would like to see a few of us in mermaid form," Cleo said. Alan nodded enthusiastically.

"Come with me."

OoOoO

Alan followed Cleo down the well-worn track to the rocky outcrop and slid down the entrance to the Moon Pool cavern. Alan looked around in awe, he saw the moon pool, and a pile of towels in the corner. His breath hitched when his eyes settled on what, or more precisely, who was in the pool itself.

"Alan, I'd like you to meet my daughter Jennifer and Rikki's daughters, Charlie and Leila. They were born mermaids," Cleo said.

"Hi!" they chorused.

He knelt on the edge of the pool.

"Nice to meet you girls," he said quietly, struck by the beauty of their tails. Cleo dived into the pool herself and was a mermaid in seconds.

"This is just incredible!" Alan exclaimed, "Thanks so much for showing me,"

As Alan and Cleo chatted about mermaids at the moon pool, Rikki surfaced and scowled once she saw who was there.