Mishaps

Chapter 65

In the week following their discoveries, the kids had pretty much re-mastered their powers. It was a strange feeling for them to get used to new control – they had after all been using their powers since they were babies. Along the way to re-mastering, of course there were mishaps…

Eric came into the kitchen of the Dining Hall to grab another jug to take on their picnic for later on in the day. He noticed Alex and Jay giggling as they ran from the room. Eric became extremely suspicious after that. He walked over to the freezer and the icebox. Everything was melted. He had to be careful not to get wet. Eric shook his head. He stretched his hand out to refreeze it all. Ice shot from his hand in a never-ending rush.

Eric had successfully refrozen the icebox and freezer but he had zapped the entire kitchen as well.

"Oh cheese," he said as the ice made its way up his body. A few seconds later, he was gone.

When he came back forty-five minutes later, it was revealed he had ended up in Antarctica and Mt Cook in New Zealand before arriving back in Australia.

OoOoO

Charlie had just nicked Leila's iPod and was running through the forest with her twin chasing her. In frustration, Leila called a bolt of lightning from the sky, aiming to trip her sister up – after all, they were immune to heat. Instead of a single bolt as intended, a bolt with a radius of ten metres landing upon Charlie's head and the forest surrounding. The trees were burning and Charlie's hair and clothes were smouldering. Ironically, the iPod was unharmed.

OoOoO

Stefani Benjamin was throwing gel balls at her brother, Jacob. The three year old giggled every time one hit him. They were waiting for Bella to return outside on the lawn.

"Stef, stop it!" Jacob pleaded. She giggled a 'no.' It continued for another five minutes.

"Would you stop it!" he yelled and gestured. Suddenly a block of earth rose up and the last gel ball hit it. Stefani started crying. Jacob was in shock. The block of earth lowered back to where it came from. It was as if nothing had happened.

"Jake, what did you do?" Bella asked disapprovingly, bundling her girl into her arms. Jacob gestured to the ground.

"I-I don't know."

He focused on the ground and stretched his hand out. A pillar of rock rose quickly from the earth.

"Cool," he whispered. Bella was staring, eyes wide. When Jake turned away to see his mother's reaction, the pillar returned with a clunk and a rise of dust.

"You can control earth," Bella stated. "That sure isn't in mentioned in the Purple book."

OoOoO

"Good morning, beautiful," Zane leaned over and kissed Rikki. Suddenly, Alex and Jay bombarded their parents.

"Happy Birthday Mummy!" Jay screeched launching himself into his mother's arms.

"Thanks sweetie." Alex tried to achieve some space in with Rikki too.

"Calm down boys," Zane tried to pry Jay off.

"Is it present time?" Alex asked eagerly – it was as if it was his own birthday.

"Let's wait for your sisters." Zane replied. He stepped out of the room to grab the presents. Rikki herself got out of bed to pick up Fi from her cot, before returning to the bed, placing her baby on her lap. Fi had just woken up. "Careful boys, please," she told them.

Zane returned a few minutes later with a couple of presents and their twin girls in tow.

"I think these two may have inherited your treatment of mornings, Rik," Zane laughed. "Happy Birthday, honey,"

"I wish you all wouldn't make such a fuss…" Rikki was interrupted as her family began singing. Fi cooed in response.

OoOoO

As soon as they arrived in the Dining Hall, Rikki proclaimed loudly that no one was to make a fuss over her this day. She did this every year and there was always the same response. Happy Birthday began to be sung loudly in reply. After breakfast, everyone went their normal separate ways for the weekday.

OoOoO

Anna was fed up. A new architect had joined her firm, and she was to supervise him as they, Jessie included, designed a new public building for the town centre. He was fresh out of school, in his early twenties yet he had been talking to her as if she was the same age or younger. Hunter Tasman was his name. Jessie had the same view of the man; he was an incredibly arrogant man.

"Hunter, could you please pass me my drink bottle?" Anna asked. "Oh, and the T-square?" She and Jessie were drafting a possible design.

"No." he replied. Anna looked up.

"Why not? I just asked you to pass something?" she replied trying to retain control of her frustration.

"I'm not your errand boy." He replied bluntly.

"What is your problem, Hunter!" Jessie asked. It was like he had a superiority-complex or something.

"My problem is that I do not feel like I should be getting instructions from someone who is only a few years older than me."

"But she isn't…" Jessie started to retort.

"I'm interested to know how old he thinks I am." Anna responded. Hunter became confused. Was she older than he thought?

"The same age as Jessie – about 24."

"This may come as a surprise, but I started many years before Jess did. I am 33."

"You're joking," His jaw was wide open. "You look so young!"

"Yes. Well, it's in my genes." Anna replied. Jessie giggled at this. "Do you want me to pull out my ID?"

"It wouldn't hurt," Hunter replied.

He read her birthdate: April 7 1992. He handed the ID back and passed her the T-square and her drink bottle with a sigh.

Anna cheered inside. Victory is ours. She said via mindspeak to Jessie. She responded with a grin.

A/N: Sorry it's so long overdue. I hope it was worth it.  Please tell me what you think and what you are enjoying!