Chapter 67

Chapter 67

 “How was your day, Jess?” Alan asked as they were driving.

“It was alright. I had an awkward lunch with Hunter. Anna was in her meeting and so I agreed to go with him. He started asking me if I was single…” she trailed off. She noticed Alan’s grip had tightened on the steering wheel.

“And how did you respond?” He asked, keeping his voice even.

“I told him about you and how we’ve been dating for nearly two years…” she trailed off. “Do you think he was into me? Was he flirting with me? I didn’t really notice any of it…” she mumbled. Alan kept his mouth shut trying to keep his jealousy under control. She noticed the change in atmosphere.

“Oh, I’m sorry, I shouldn’t…”

“Don’t be sorry. We need to discuss this.” Alan cut her off. He took a deep breath.

“Why would anyone want to flirt with me in the first place?” Jessie asked in a half-whisper, asking herself more than to Alan. Alan looked over at her in disbelief.

“What?” she questioned.

“You are amazing Jessie, that’s why!” he stated strongly before continuing. Now it was her turn to be shocked. “You are extremely attractive – not only do you have an awesome personality, but you are incredibly beautiful. Stunning even! Any guy would be lucky to have you.” Alan said. He parked the car. Jessie was flattered. She had never heard such a large string of compliments come flowing out of Alan’s mouth. He was generally very conservative with words, rather displaying affection through actions.

“Well then, aren’t you lucky to have got me?” she smiled, leaning over and kissing his cheek. Alan felt reassured. They got out of the car to walk into Jessie’s apartment.

“I love you.” Alan said.

“I love you too,” she leant up and kissed him. “And don’t you forget it,” she added cheekily. They walked hand in hand up the stairs and into her home.

OoOoO

The following day, Jessie was at her family reunion in Brisbane. She had taken the day off work to be able to go. Hunter had asked Anna where she was. Anna had shrugged and said, “It’s none of your business.”

Jessie loved to play soccer. A family football match was tradition for the Mills.

Jessie went in for a tackle and won the ball. She quickly began dribbling it up the field, running towards the opposition’s goal. As she was about to shoot, her cousin, Bruce, tackled her at an incredible pace. Somehow, his knee collided heavily with her face. She fell back dazed. Her head was throbbing. From blurry vision she noticed family members running towards her and crowding above her as she lay on the ground.