Memories...

Chapter 39

The date came around and Rikki was not looking forward to seeing Alan Xavier again, however, she did not really get much say.  The Jacksons arrived and all the kids were swimming with Perry, while the adults were inside chatting. Alan arrived a half hour later, walking into the dining hall where everyone was socialising.

“Hey everyone,” Alan said.

“Hey Alan,” Lewis said, “Let me introduce you to Fred and Kelly Jackson,”

“Nice to meet you,” Fred said as he shook Alan’s hand. For the next hour, Rikki continued to give Alan the cold shoulder, annoying him to no end. It was decided that everyone would go down to the beach. 

“Rikki,” Alan said grabbing Rikki’s elbow as she went to leave with the others, “Could I talk with you for a moment,” She scowled in response.

“Fine. Make it quick,” she snapped.

“Why do you hate me so much? We don’t even know each other well,”

“Exactly. I don’t trust you.”

“I’ve kept your secret, what more is there to trust.”

“That this isn’t just temporary. You could tell Denman and we wouldn’t even know.”

“She has no memory of past events, why would I tell. Seriously, I don’t need the money enough to destroy friendships and those friends’ lives.”

This Rikki had nothing to say to. “Come on Rikki, chance it, and for goodness sake, please stop giving me icy glares and ignoring me. You don’t have to trust me fully; I just want to be friends.”

“Okay, I’ll try to be more welcoming. No promises though.”

“Thanks for giving me a chance. I’ll try not to make you regret it.”

Rikki did give Alan a chance, and because of it, they actually got along nicely. They could not be called friends due to Rikki’s trust issues but they weren’t enemies either.

OoOoO

“Linda, these dreams have been going on for years, and frankly it is not healthy. Is there something you’re not telling us?”

“I-I can’t remember!” she exclaimed frustrated, “Aren’t you people supposed to tell me?”

“You have a bad case of amnesia, you may never regain your memories.” The psychiatrist said, “But are you sure the dream didn’t really happen?”

“Mermaids? Please.”

“In the metaphorical sense? Maybe a group of people you knew changed dramatically?”

“I don’t think so.”

“Well Mrs Denman, this is a mystery to everyone.”

OoOoO

Denman tossed and turned in bed again that night.

Three young women are in a beautiful pool in a volcanic cone. No legs but tails. They scowl at me. Suddenly the dream shifts, the girls now have legs and they walk ominously towards me. With hand movements, they seem to be controlling water in various forms. Snow, wind and fire is everywhere, lightning bolts coming from nowhere. “We got an upgrade,” says the one with curly blonde hair. My colleagues are falling by freaks of nature somehow caused by the women. “No one messes with us,” the blonde one spoke again, “Don’t forget that,” Their eyes are piercing and cold though they seem scared at the same time. The tanned one steps forward and raises her arm; suddenly I feel cold and darkness comes over me,’ Denman woke up with a scream, sweat on her brow. Her husband John Denman held her close, “Shh, it was only a dream, only a dream,” Denman welcomed the strong arms of her husband.