Chapter 118

Chapter 118

It had been a few days. Ryan had been contacting various scientists who had read about online. These scientists were interested in proving the supernatural and paranormal, alongside their research in respected fields. They might help to make the information more credible. All he had to do now was wait for a response.

Ryan moved to the couch. Leaning forward, he took the box off the coffee table – the one with the scale inside. He hadn't looked at it since he found it. It was the evidence that he needed.

Ryan opened the box. Hold on.

The scale didn't look like a scale anymore. It was all shriveled.

Ryan frowned and took a closer look.

It was a piece of skin!

A little grossed out a first, Ryan's perspective changed when he realised what this meant.

"If this is skin now that it's dry, then..."

Ryan got up and grabbed his water bottle. He poured a little bit of water onto his hand and let a single water droplet fall on the skin in the box.

Ryan was a little disappointed – it did not change like he thought it might. He continued to stare at it as he pondered the fact that his evidence no longer looked like it came from a mermaid.

Just as he was about to put it down, a shimmer caught his eye – it was a scale once more.

"Of course!" Ryan mused aloud. He had forgotten that the change wasn't instant. This would be the perfect thing to convince the scientists if they gave him a fair go.

He couldn't let anything happen to it. Securing it in an airproof bag, Ryan took the box to his safe and locked it in.

He wondered if he would be able to get any other samples.

The more he thought about the mers not living at their house, the more the idea solidified that they must live on Mako.

It always came back to Mako.

He knew that someone bought Mako for a lot of money many years earlier, with the charge to protect the environment there, and to keep part of the island accessible to the public. Based on their regular patterns, most of the mers would be on the mainland for most of the day tomorrow. Ryan was going to go to Mako to see what he could find. He didn't necessarily want to drive them from their home, but he needed the big picture knowledge to satisfy his curiosity.

OoOoO

The next morning, Ryan sailed out to Mako Island – to the public area. He hiked up to the border between the public and private areas of the island.

Wiping the sweat from his brow, Ryan sat against a rock and set up his drone and laptop for the image. It was better not to take any unnecessary risks.

High up in the sky, the drone looked down at the island. For half an hour, Ryan watched the video coming from the drone. It didn't look like there was anything there.

If there was, it was camouflaged from high up. It was clever – it would protect them from being found by satellite imagery.

Ryan directed the drone down, to just above the trees. Now the drone was more visible. Hopefully, none of the mers were home (if he found their home).

From the wider island video, there were a few clearings that might make good bases. Ryan directed the drone near to these clearings to see if it could capture anything.