Aftermath II

Chapter 60

Rikki was breastfeeding Fi when the nurse returned to take them to her husband. Lewis and Cleo bade them farewell to return to the island while Emma went in with Rikki and the boisterous kids. Once Rikki had finished feeding her baby, who was now slowly drifting off, they made their way to Zane's hospital room.

OoOoO

Jessie was very drowsy and it was difficult to breathe. The needle attached to the drip in her arm was irritating. She was in a very sour mood – a very rare thing for the usually even-tempered and hard to upset person that she was. When was she going to be let out of this bed?

There was a knock on the door and the person she wanted to see entered.

"Hey Alan," she smiled weakly as he made his way to her bedside. "I'm surprised they let you in so soon,"

"Well, I'm close enough to family right?" He sat down. "How are you feeling?"

"Terrible, but I'll live."

"That, I'm extremely thankful about." He kissed her hand. "I love you so much, Jess,"

"I love you too." A few seconds of comfortable silence passed between them.

OoOoO

Rikki entered the room half-afraid of what she might see. Zane was asleep. His arm was in a sling and his head was bandaged. There were stitches on his right cheek. Rikki felt her hand go to her own cheek. The scar was almost identical to the one most prominent from her escape from the counterfeiters so many years earlier. She sat down and watched him worriedly. The kids crowded around his bed.

"Is Daddy awake?" Alex asked loudly. Rikki motioned for him to be quiet. Leila elbowed him.

"He is now," Zane said weakly. He coughed and opened his eyes slowly.

"Zane," Rikki said softly, relieved.

"Hi honey," he replied with a half-smile.

"How are you feeling?" Emma asked from the doorway. She was still holding the sleeping Fi. She thought Rikki and Zane were being cute. It was not often that you saw them as open with their emotions.

"Hey Em, I didn't see you there. I'm feeling great!" he said unconvincingly after a brief pause. "How are my kiddies doing?" he addressed his two sets of twins.

The family continued talking. Emma got out the toys and pack of cards once the kids got bored.

"How are you really feeling?" Rikki asked quietly when the kids were all distracted.

"Like crap." He replied honestly.

"Why do we always end up in near death situations?" she asked – more to herself than to him.

"Because I fell in love with a mythical creature. No, make that an amazing, kick ass mermaid who is incredibly beautiful." He said in mock seriousness. She laughed.

"I do mean that though, Rik," he said more seriously.

"That is probably one of the most romantic things you've said to me." She laughed.

"Really?" he asked. He seemed slightly put out. "I need to work on compliments then."

She leaned over and kissed him. What started as an innocent peck began to evolve into something more…

"Aw, gross!" Charlie said when she looked up from their game. This made Rikki jerk back from her husband. A rosy blush covered her cheeks. It was unusual for them to display PDA in front of their kids. Zane just laughed.

OoOoO

Once visitors' hours had finished, the group remaining at the hospital returned to Mako. Alan decided to stay the night there also.

The next day, Zane was allowed home and Rikki as warned that if anything was out of the ordinary, to call them immediately.

Jessie however was kept in again to make sure her blood transfusion has been successful and her ribs were healing.

OoOoO

The sun began to set on the second day of the hospitalisation. Lewis came rushing into the dining hall where everyone was about to eat.

"It's a full moon tonight! In all the drama I forgot to tell you," he exclaimed in a fluster.

"But Jacob's at a friend's house tonight!" Bella exclaimed.

"I'm sure he can cope," Anna said soothingly rubbing the worried mother's shoulder.

'Jake honey?'

Jacob was about to play his chess piece when he heard her voice.

'Yes mum?'

"Jake, is everything alright?" his friend Aaron asked. Jacob was staring into space still holding his chess piece.

'It's a full moon tonight – be careful,' Bella said. Aaron watched as his friend's face turned worried. It was as if he was having a conversation in with himself.

'Okay,' he replied, 'Love you.'

"Jake?"

"Oh sorry, just zoned out for a bit then," Jacob returned to the real world realising how weird he must have looked. He finally placed his chess piece. "Check mate." He grinned.

OoOoO

Leila reheated her hot chocolate absent-mindedly. Suddenly, a cloud rose from her cup. She did a double take. A cloud was rising from her cup and was beginning to grow and envelope the room.

"Leila!" Rikki exclaimed. In shock, Leila had forgotten to stop moving her hand. Her hot chocolate was now boiling and a cloud about three metres in diameter was in front of her.

"How…?" she asked. Rikki came over to where she was standing.

"I don't know. Maybe you're developing a new power?"

"Creating clouds? I can make lightning, fire and boil water. Clouds? It sounds more like something that Jenny should have developed." Leila replied.

"Well it does link to yours – you are creating condensation or steam with heat but maybe this is just controlled – you are controlling its shape."

Leila did not look convinced.

"Look. Try and change its shape now."

She began to focus on it. Ever so slightly, it began to move. Soon it was the shape of a cartoon cloud. Rikki laughed.

"Well that's a useful talent," she paused. "Can you make it dissipate?"

Leila focused. It only got bigger.

"Well, not yet." Rikki finished her own question. "Can you create another one?" This was easier. "Charlie, get your butt in here," she called down the hall. Luckily Fi and Zane were at the opposite end of the house.

"What?" Charlie asked walking into the room. She too did a double take when she saw the cloud. "What's a cloud doing in here?" she asked confused.

"Somehow, your sister has created it." Her mother replied. "I would like you to try."

"How?"

"I don't know how I did it. It just…happened." Leila replied.

Soon enough, Charlie had created a cloud too – just a little bit smaller.

"A very interesting development." Rikki murmured to herself.

A/N: Hey everyone :) Due to all the positive feedback, here's another chapter!

Thanks especially to The Orignal3_Rikki, Writerchick101, chirsmayfield, Janoskinator_Katrina, MJFan2365, elaine208, Writing_Wiz, auslly1976 (thanks for reading it non-stop - I really appreciate it :)), but this chapter is dedicated to FlorindaBrydon for getting others to read my story, for being especially enthusiastic and for being a great fan!

I love all you guys. Thanks so much for reading. Until next time.