The Hunter

Chapter 66

Emma had a staff meeting and so Rikki was to go and pick the kids up from the school. Rikki was looking after her own baby as well as Cleo’s son, Hayden. Cleo had recently returned to work again. Carrying the two tots, Rikki walked to where the double buggy was parked and strapped them both it in. She then walked down to the primary school.

With the flock of kids behind her, they returned to the café. With Fi, she couldn’t take the kids swimming back home. After all, Fi was the only child who did not inherit the mermaid genes. As she pushed the buggy through the doors of the café, her jaw dropped. In twenty minutes, the place had been transformed. Zane, and their staff, had placed red streamers and balloons all around the room. The customers looked on as Rhonda took the buggy off Rikki and led the children to a table. Zane came forward and embraced his wife.

“Happy Birthday, Rikki. I love you.” He whispered. She returned his hug.

“I love you too.” She kissed him gently. Their audience awed.

“What is all this? I thought you knew I don’t like fuss.” Rikki said after a brief pause, gesturing to the decorations.

“Do I need an excuse to spoil you?”

“No, but I turned 33 – that’s hardly a significant birthday…”

“Rikki. I. Love. You. I like to show it,” Zane interrupted. “I wish I had shown you more when we were in high school.” He said this sincerely.

Rikki stroked his cheek before kissing him again lightly, “I know I don’t say it very often, but thank you.”

“You’re right; you don’t say it very often.” Zane smirked playfully. Rikki gave him a punch in the arm jokingly. He put his arm around her.

As the evening progressed, all the island residents as well as the honorary members, such as Jessie, Alan and the Jacksons, arrived to the café and they all enjoyed each other’s company.

OoOoO

“You should’ve seen his face,” Anna laughed to Ben as they were getting into bed that night. She was telling him about the arrogant Hunter Tasman and his reaction to her age. He laughed along with her.

“I bet you put him in check,” he said. There was a peaceful silence as they lay there. “Anna, have you considered that this could be dangerous?”

“Dangerous? The man is an arrogant idiot – not a danger in my eyes,” She scoffed.