Chapter 111

Chapter 111

'Varine, we have returned,' Emma projected. 'We have what you sent us to get. Honour our deal,'

OoOoO

"Welcome back," Varine said, nodding first to the girls, then to Khasha. "Show me the necklace,"
Rikki held it towards Varine. Varine had a hard-to-read expression on her face, but the girls could tell that behind it, Varine was feeling extreme relief.
"Well done. I am glad you were successful in retrieving this. You have no idea how important it is to keep safe," the Queen said.
"Oh we have an idea," Anna said. "Non-mermaids can use it to control mermaids. The man that had it used it on us. He made Jessie do this to me," she gestured to her injury.
"Ah," Varine said. "I am sorry,"
"Sorry that we found out? Or sorry for what you sent us into?" Rikki asked, hands on hips.
Varine ignored Rikki's comment and gestured to her guards, saying something to them quickly in their language.
"What else does the necklace do?" Emma asked.
"It does what you say happened," Varine said. "A long time ago, when we split into the merman and mermaid pods, a merman elder created the necklace as a means to control the mermaids. He enchanted it so that mermaids could not use it – in case we ever got our hands on it. The merman council reportedly did not approve of the necklace, and told that elder to destroy it. He decided to demonstrate its power, and used it to control most of our pod. Fortunately, the necklace could not control more than fifty mermaids at once. Mermen that disapproved and mermaids that were not controlled battled with the elder, his merman followers and controlled mermaids. We lost mers on both sides. Fortunately, the mermen and free mermaids won the battle, and the elder was killed in the fight. They tried to destroy the necklace, but the elder must have made an enchantment to protect it. So, the necklace was given the mermaid queen of the time so that no one could misuse it again." Varine explained.
"I hope you take better care of it this time," Emma said. Varine nodded.
"We have created a more secure vault in the catacombs, and will double the guards. We cannot let the mermen get their hands on the necklace," Varine said.
"You have your necklace now, return our children to us," Anna said.
Varine nodded again and gestured to the guards. A few minutes later, different guards arrived, followed by a large group of children.

OoOoO

The boys were playing tic tac toe, with the variety of toys they had been given, when Kina was given the command to bring them to the Queen.
"Where are we going?" Jay asked.
"Your mothers have returned," Kina smiled at them. "If they have brought the necklace, you all will be free to go,"
The boys became excited and chattery, and there were many hoots and hollers across mindspeak. Kina led the boys and the girls, once they were retrieved, to Varine. The girls and boys embraced excitedly.

OoOoO

"You honoured your side of the deal," Varine said, "You are all free to go."
With this, the children, and their mothers, ran towards each other beaming.

Their children barrelled into them, and the women held them tightly.

Jessie watched the reunions with a big smile on her face. Cleo comforted her girls, Jennifer and Andy as they burrowed into her arms. Emma chatted quietly to Ariana. Bella had Jacob clinging to her back, and Daniel was holding Anna's hand tightly. Jessie could barely see Rikki beneath the two sets of twins hugging her.

Charlie had handed Fi to Rikki before the two sets of twins embraced their mother. On seeing her five children, Rikki's eyes watered with happiness.

"Are you crying, mum?" Jay asked.

"Not at all," Rikki grinned, "It's just the salt water in my eye."

Her children laughed.

"Did you get up to much while we were gone?" Rikki asked.