Chapter 108

Chapter 108

"I have so many questions, and you know what's great? You'll have to answer them honestly."

Ryan pulled a chair over and sat opposite the mermaid.

"Wow," he said breathing out. "You don't know how happy I am that you are here. I've been looking for proof on your kind for so long," Ryan smiled in wonder.

Jessie felt powerless and anxious. All her energy was being drained by trying to resist the control the necklace had over her. She wanted to retort but it was like her mouth was clamped shut.

"You have permission to speak freely," Ryan said. "If you're good I'll give you more freedom,"

Once he had said this, Jessie felt the clamp-like pressure release.

"Why are you doing this?" Jessie asked.

"You know why," Ryan said. "I want answers. Answers that you are going to give me,"

"What are you going to do with me?" Jessie questioned.

"I'm not entirely sure yet. I'm sure other mermaids are going to try and rescue you, so we'll see what happens. I intend to show my findings to the scientific community, and you, my dear, are a part of the evidence," Ryan smiled.

Jessie nodded her understanding.

Ryan pulled out his phone and opened his audio recording app.

"Are you a mermaid?" Ryan asked her.

"Yes," Jessie replied. She had debated not replying in the affirmative but the necklace's influence was too strong.

"What is your name?"

"Jessie Mills,"

Ryan looked confused at this.

"That's a very human name? You weren't born in the sea?"

Jessie rolled her eyes.

"No," she said.

"But you were born a mermaid?"

"Yes,"

"How?"

Oh no. She did not want to answer that.

Ryan frowned.

"How?" he asked again, using the necklace's power to compel her.

No, no, no. Jessie struggled. No.

"My mother was a mermaid," she gasped out. "My father is a human."

"Was?"

Jessie nodded sadly.

"Where do you live?"

"Australia," she replied. She was thankful that it wasn't one of the girls who lived on the island in her position. She should be able to avoid mentioning it.

"Do you have any siblings?"

"Yes. But I was the only one to inherit the mermaid gene,"

"Does your mother have other mermaid family members?"

"No," Jessie replied.

"How is that possible?"

She wished that she didn't have to reply.

"My mother was not born a mermaid," Jessie said against her will.

"Your mother was originally human?" Ryan asked with wide eyes.

Jessie nodded.

"Are there any mermaids that were not transformed from humans? Ones that live in the ocean like the myths?"