Chapter 133

Chapter 133

Katya fidgeted nervously, alternating between ringing her hands and tapping her foot. She was so excited yet anxious about this important meeting. She had moored her boat to one of the docks on the public side of Mako Island and was now waiting for Anna. Katya glanced at her watch. It had only been a minute – why did time feel like it was taking forever to pass? She adjusted her laptop bag strap.

Out of the corner of her eye, Katya saw a flash of auburn through the trees. She turned to look and saw Anna emerge from the bush path.

"Katya," Anna greeted, coming closer, "Thanks for coming,"

"Thanks for the opportunity," Katya replied, trying to sound more confident. Katya took a steadying breath; this was just Anna – they had talked on the phone. Katya's nerves were exacerbated by her desire to get this right – she wanted to say the right thing.

"Katya, we are glad you are here," Anna smiled gently, giving Katya's arm a light squeeze. "Don't worry – we're not going to bite,"

"Thanks for the reassurance." Katya chuckled nervously. Katya was unsure how to feel about Anna seeing straight through her.

"Let's get going, shall we?" Anna started walking from the beach to the bush, "Follow me,"

To Katya's surprise, Anna engaged her in small talk as they walked – asking 'how are you?' and sharing a bit more about her work as an architect. By the time they neared their destination Katya was feeling a lot calmer. Note to self – thank Anna for this later.

"Everyone is home today," Anna said. "I hope it isn't too overwhelming – we are a bit of a tribe,"

"Will everyone be there for the discussion?" Katya asked.

"We do like making sure everyone hears the information and is on the same page for decision making, so there will be a decent number. Some of the guys have volunteered to keep the kids occupied so we won't have to worry about that. They were keen to let us mers lead the discussion,"

"I think I'll be a bit overwhelmed regardless," Katya laughed. She hesitated. "So 'the guys' aren't mers?"

"My husband, Ben, is, but the other men are all humans – they've just known about the secret for a long time. It's very helpful to have parents here that don't accidentally turn into mers when it rains or when kids are having a bath," Anna chuckled.

"Your lives are fascinating." Katya replied, eyes wide. "I can't wait for this discussion,"

Anna laughed again.

It was a decent walk to the private side of the island, and to the hidden village. It was amazing how easily you could miss the entry way – especially if you didn't know what you were looking for.

"Here we are," Anna announced.

Katya remained silent as she followed Anna in.

A few children were running around playing tag by some houses on the left, ignorant of the arrival. A few older children were climbing trees to the right. The older children stopped climbing and stared at Katya as she walked. Katya's heart thumped loudly in her chest when she recognised one of them as Jenny.

Anna slowed and pointed towards one of the houses. Leading the way, she opened the door.

"Welcome to my humble abode," Anna gestured. "Come in,"

Katya half-expected a room full of people staring at her, but she was relieved to just see one man sitting on the couch. He stood up as they came in.

"Katya, this is my husband Ben,"