Chapter 128

Chapter 128

Ryan had realised quickly that if the mermaids were no longer following their normal routine to throw him off, that he would have to pay particular attention to them 'after hours' so to speak. He decided to plant some cameras around the reefs on Mako, to see if there were any patterns. There weren't at first, but after a few weeks, he noticed that different mer-juveniles would come for a swim in the evening. They weren't consistent with where they swam, but it seemed consistent that they did swim.

Ryan knew that he would just need to show up in scuba gear consistently and he would get his moment.

Ryan parked the boat on the far side of Mako – the public side. He knew the mermaids would avoid swimming over there, and he knew that driving his boat towards the mainland would get suspicion. He also knew that mermaids could easily catch up to his boat on full speed. He got an employee to be ready to drive a second boat towards the mainland, 'bait' if you will.

He had a good feeling about this evening. From his boat, he monitored the camera feeds. He had his tranquiliser gun ready – a modified dose so that it wouldn't harm the mers. He hadn't had a good opportunity yet, but he knew he would get his chance. Patience always wins in the end.

It was time! Some juveniles were in the water without an adult. They quickly jumped in the water, and swam in their scuba gear over to where the mers were swimming. He wanted the mers to relax, so he told his men that they wouldn't move in close until the mers had been swimming for a bit and looked about ready to head back in.

He observed the mers from a distance for about 10 minutes, then he signalled his employees to come closer. He targeted the identical boys first, pulling the trigger of his tranquiliser gun. The mermaid noticed something was wrong and whipped around, before she had the chance to react, the tranquiliser dart was in her upper tail.

He lined up the shot to hit the last mer. As his finger pulled the trigger, the mer whipped around and panicked. Ryan's aim was true, hitting the boy. Then it was Ryan's turn to panic as he felt his arm get sliced by a spike of ice sailing past. He was very fortunate that the tranquiliser had impaired the mer enough that he missed. Ryan clamped his hand over the wound on his upper arm.

"Leave that one," he said quickly, "He's too much trouble,"

So, they grabbed the younger boys and the girl, and swam as quickly as possible towards their boat.

They heard the decoy boat start up and head towards the mainland.

He and his men successfully lifted the heavy mers onto the boat.

So they didn't have to cart a very conspicuous tank around, Ryan decided that they would transport the unconscious mers dry. It would be much easier with them in their human forms. Quietly, their boat moved out to sea, away from Mako, and the opposite direction from the mainland. They would wait out here for a bit and then head back to the shore when the mers believed the boat carrying their children was long gone.

Ryan grimaced as he looked at his arm. It was still bleeding.

One of his newer employees, Casper, set to bandaging the arm while they waited.

"You know boss, I didn't believe you at first. I was just here for the money. But seeing them?" Casper gestured to the unconscious children. "This is amazing. I won't say nothing about your methods, I don't like knocking out kids" he added in a mutter, then louder he said "But you have that proof you've been after,"

Ryan nodded, a hopeful smile spreading across his face.

"Yes."

OoOoO