Chapter 126

Chapter 126

Finally, the DNA sequences were finished.

Katya examined the data.

Most notably, the DNA sequences for both 'dry' and 'wet' samples were the same. This meant that while there was a complete change in structure at the cell level in contact with water, it did not mean that the DNA changed.

"It will be interesting to find out if the mermaids can hold their breath as long in human form," Katya mused, "If they can't, it means that their entire anatomical structure changes between human and mermaid. Incredible".

Katya found that the mermaid genome included 48 chromosomes. More chromosomes than the expected genome sequences - humans have 46 chromosomes and dolphins have 44.

98% of the mermaid genome matched human DNA. An additional 1% matched DNA found in dolphins and whales. The other 1% Katya had no idea about yet.

Overall, the 2% different (and the 2 extra chromosomes) clearly accounted for the mermaid's ability to change the cell structure in contact with water to have legs or a tail, and have powers... but how? As a scientist, Katya was hesitant to believe in magic, but she was finding it hard to wrap her head around how this was possible. Regardless of the cause, this was a new discovery for science.

Having the genome sequence analysis (and it being completely different to any currently discovered species on earth), as well as the cell evidence, Katya had enough to publish her findings (in order to start more substantial research). Katya had been beavering away at the science for a week, as a distraction from the ethical implications. Now that the basic examination of it was done, she actually had to face the decision of what to do with the evidence.

Ryan had phoned Katya the day after the kidnapping fiasco, and Katya had replied stating that she needed some time to think before moving forward. Ryan had exclaimed with a few choice words, and hung up.

Moving away from her desk, Katya again got out the tub of icecream and flicked on the TV. This was definitely not a great habit.

Katya was unable to focus fully on the movie. She dug her spoon into the icecream as she thought through possible outcomes and scenarios.

Because of the ethical nature of her dilemma, Katya realised that she needed to speak with the victims. She needed to contact the mermaids and discuss it with them.

But how was she to do this?

Should she involve Ryan? Or go straight to the mermaids?

What did she actually want?

Was she going to get fried by a bolt of lightning for trying? Katya remembered how one had landed in front of Ryan from the older blonde mermaid.

First things first, she needed to chat to her lawyers again.

OoOoO

The next morning, Katya met with her lawyer Vera.

"So let me get this straight: You and Ryan succeeded in capturing a mermaid and gained additional samples as evidence, but it turns out that the mermaid is a child who lives among us?"

"Yes, and now I don't know what to do. Ryan tricked me – he had said that there was a chance that mermaids could go on land, but he did not imply that they were actually people like you and me! I would never have helped to kidnap that poor girl if I knew!"

"Hmm," Vera considered. "And you said that you've been analysing the samples from the mermaid this week, and have said to Ryan that you just needed time to think,"