Explorations

Chapter 53

This isn’t looking as stable as before,’ Jennifer commented looking at the cracks in the rock of the tunnel and the rubble amongst the sand on the sea floor. ‘Should we keep going?’

‘Yeah, we can use our powers if we do get trapped,’ Leila said nonchalantly. Eric and Jennifer looked at her with wide eyes.

But that won’t happen’ Jacob said reassuringly. 

They kept following the tunnel not realising how fast time was passing. It was if they were in a time vortex. Jennifer looked at her watch after what seemed like five minutes swimming slowly down the tunnel and discovered it had been over an hour.

'Guys! We need to head back now otherwise we won’t back in time before the full moon,’

'Relax Jen,’ Charlie said, ‘We can go a little further and then we’ll turbo swim back,’

‘Okay,’ she replied hesitantly. Besides, their mothers would check in on when they should head back.

Little did Jen and the others know, but her watch stopped five minutes later when they passed a certain point. If they had noticed, they would have seen a perfect line of small pebbles on the sandy floor.

OoOoO

After that certain point, there was a strange air pocket – the ceiling of the tunnel rose to where there was air above the surface of the water. They all took a breath, just in case.

Jennifer looked at her watch; it had only been five minutes, so they could go a little further if they were going to turbo swim back. In reality is had been forty-five minutes. They were supposed to be back. The kids did not know that they had swum into a very magical tunnel.

OoOoO

Rikki, Bella and Emma were preparing dinner when they were approached by a worried Cleo.

“I can’t get through to them; it’s like their minds are blocked.” With a frown the others tried to reach their kids.

“You’re right; actually, it’s kind of the same blockage as when you were stranded on that island,” Emma said.

“That’s not good.” Cleo said and Emma shook her head in response.

'It works between us though,’ Rikki said. “What about Anna and Ben?”

Bella tried to reach them: ‘Anna, Ben, can you hear me?’

Loud and clear, what’s wrong?’ Anna replied.

‘We can’t seem to contact the Jen and the others’ Cleo said.

We’ll be right there,’ Ben said.

OoOoO

“It’s too late, the moon’s rising,” Rikki said.

“I’m sure they’ll be fine,” Bella said trying to be optimistic.

OoOoO

It was timeless down there.

Hey, look at this,’ Eric said as the came across a rectangle of glowing blue crystals. It was about thirty centimetres high and ten wide. He reached out and touched it. ‘Guys, it has a weird texture and…it’s warm…’

The others all reached out and touched it at the same time, Eric’s hand was also still touching. Suddenly, a screeching noise filled their minds and they flapped their tails around aimlessly as they put their hands to their heads as if it would make the pain and the noise go away.