The light at the end of the tunnel...

• Dedicated to Kate

Chapter 57

Using the light, they entered. It was a tunnel that went descended steeply into the sea floor. At first it looked like any ordinary sea cave or tunnel; seaweed and shelled creatures on the walls. After a few minutes of swimming, they came to an obstacle. A massive pile of rocks. As try as they might, they wouldn't budge. As Anna came forward to help, the ball of light she was controlling hit the wall. Her hand went right through it – so did the others'. It was revealed that the rock wall was some sort of magical illusion. They all looked at each other before swimming through. This magic made them feel like they were in the right place. As they swum through they all felt tingly – as if the illusion was scanning them. After a few more minutes of swimming, they noticed the walls of the tunnel were changing colour and the passage had levelled – no longer descending. It was golden. More time passed as the continued swimming. How deep were they? Rikki and Bella – who were in front gasped. There in front of them were two golden pillars bearing that symbol. This must be the place. Again, they felt like they were being scanned as they swam through. Suddenly, the earth started shaking.

'Earthquake?' Bella asked.

'Booby-trap' Rikki replied.

The piles of treasure began sinking into the sand and an incredible screeching noise filled their minds. They all groaned in pain.

'Why is it always mind pain?' Anna moaned. All of a sudden their tails felt like stone, they sunk, unable to swim. The treasure had all gone but a few coins. The treasure trove continued to break apart. Jessie gasped. A pillar was falling slowly, ominously through the water towards her. There was nothing any of them could do. It trapped her, winding her as it crashed across her waist. At least the water took some of the weight. Anna tried using her powers on the pillar, as did Jessie. They could not move their hands in the appropriate action so nothing happened.

'Damn!' Jessie said.

'Cleo! We need help! We are all paralysed and Jessie is trapped under a broken pillar. The treasure trove we found is breaking apart!' Bella called to her.

'Jessie lost a lot of air when it hit her,' Rikki added in. She looked at her watch. 'Alan is due to arrive with the boat in like ten minutes,' she said.

'Fred, can you come down for the time being?' Anna asked.

Fred responded immediately, swimming quickly through the tunnel. However, as soon as he reached the treasure room, he too became immobile.

'Cleo, we definitely need the humans,' Rikki said.

OoOoO

As Cleo turbo-sped to the mainland, she saw Alan's boat. She popped up in front of him.

"What's up Cleo," he asked cheerily. His mood changed when he saw her worried face. She climbed onto the plate they had attached to all their boats – it made it easier for a mermaid or merman to get on-board. Cleo went over what was happening.

"These are the co-ordinates," she continued. "Do you have your scuba gear?"

"Of course," he smiled grimly.

"I'm going to get Zane and then I'll bring the ruby to you just in case to free everyone we need to return it,"

"Okay, good luck,"

"To you too," Cleo said as she dove into the sea.

OoOoO

Meanwhile in the cave, the mind pain had weakened but they were all still pinned to the floor. Rikki could tell Jess did not have too much air left. This was when she wished that they could actually breathe under water. She was a mythical creature yet she was wishing to be what the stories told of her species. 'Huh.' She thought.