Chapter 91

Chapter 91

While the girls and some of the kids enjoyed Fijian paradise, they were oblivious to trouble about to literally rain down on Mako. Meteorologists had predicted a monsoon coming to the Gold Coast. They expected it to be the heaviest rainfall in decades, especially for the summer. Lewis was worried by the prediction. Only Ben and the under-fives had powers that could control the rain. Due to the island’s volcanic cone and location, they often drew in the worst of the weather. Cleo sometimes moved the clouds away from their location, and when that wasn’t possible, Rikki could attempt to evaporate a cloud – it would sometimes delay the rainfall until it resettled in another cloud. If the rain couldn’t be prevented, then Bella would create crystallised water barriers for their windows and doors – stopping the water flow. That meant the houses would never flood. Of course, due to their location on the Gold Coast, even on their kind of island, they got little rain, so these methods were not employed as much as they would have to in other places.

If this storm was as big as predicted, the island residents were in for a wet night.

On Lewis’ recommendation, they all stored their precious items in waterproof containers. Anything that could not get wet was wrapped up.

“Don’t you think this is a little overkill?” Zane asked. “It’s an awful lot to wrap up for ‘just in case.’”

“Well, you can risk it if you want,” Lewis replied. “This monsoon is supposed to be a record breaker. We’ve never dealt with a storm of this size before on the island. And we don’t have to girls to control it away. Ben can only do so much by himself.”

Zane sighed and nodded.

“Okay then. Better safe than sorry, I guess,”

By five o’clock, the first of the loud cracks of thunder echoed through the sky. The torrential rain started about ten minutes later. The thunderclaps were closer together every time and the rain got heavier. Zane was enjoying his first kid free night in a long time. The other Dads were in their respective houses. Lewis was playing with his one year old, Hayden. The volume of the storm scared the four-year-olds. To stop their crying, the Dads decided to go for comfort movie watching. Will carried Stefani over to Ben and Anna’s house for comfort in the form of watching that new Disney movie for the one hundredth time. Ash brought Amelia over and sat her on the couch next to Stefani. In each other’s company and that of their favourite film with those ridiculously catchy songs, they cheered up significantly. Of course, Ben’s four-year-old, Madeline was excited to have her friends over and was so happy that she completely forgot about the storm. She forgot about the storm for about five minutes before a thunderclap frightened her to tears. She climbed into Ben’s lap for a snuggle. In seeing her elder sister upset, Natalie, wanted some daddy-time too. The three year old was jealous that Maddie got a cuddle and her sniffles were to get attention, rather than genuine fear. Lewis decided to bring Hayden over to enjoy his friends’ company.

As the storm progressed, there was no let-up in water pressure. For the first time, Zane noticed leaks in his roof. He moved a chair and stood on it to try and get a better look. His eyes widened. There was legitimately a decent sized crack. At the widest indent the droplet of water dropped. That definitely had not been there a few days ago. A large gust of wind chose the moment to bluster past. The structure seemed to groan with strain. Why did Cleo decide that they had to go away this week? Maybe Lewis’ plans would be worthwhile after all.