Chapter 86

Chapter 86

Alan passed the precious envelope to Jessie. Jessie opened it and looked at the troublesome photographs and empty USB stick. She smiled and turned to Denman.

“Thanks, Linda. I don’t know what I would’ve done if you didn’t do this,” she said gratefully. “Thank you.”

“It was the right thing to do,” Denman replied. She turned to the rest of the group. “I know you don’t trust me, but I’d like to reassure you, for what it’s worth, that I have no intention of harming or betraying you. I would like to thank you for allowing me here to witness this, in your safe haven. I know I’m not here lightly,”

Denman’s speech was met with nods and a murmur of acknowledgement. The tense atmosphere seemed to relax slightly. The group moved towards a large patch of dirt at the end of the village buildings. The kids with lightning powers were allowed to practice at this place only – as not to catch the island on fire accidently. Jessie placed the envelope on the ground and stepped back.

“Would you do the honours, Rikki?” Jessie asked. Rikki nodded and stepped forward. Stretching her hand out, she called a lightning bolt from the sky, setting the dangerous photos on fire. Flames soon enveloped the folder and soon it was no more than ashes mixing with the dirt. The USB was a molten pile. Satisfied smiles stretched across everyone’s faces, including Dr Denman’s. Cleo used her control over the wind, gently blowing the ashes away, scattering them across the island.  Denman felt excitement throughout the informal ceremony; their powers fascinated her – it was not only this driving her emotions, however. She felt an amazing sense of privilege at having permission to be there, especially in spite of her past sins against them. She felt peace, knowing that this was the right thing to do. The evidence now burnt from existence.

The group had been unsure of Denman’s intentions but in seeing her genuine reactions they felt reassured- at least, more assured than before.  Hesitantly, Denman approached Rikki.

“Thank you for letting me be here, Rikki. I want you to know how sorry I am for what I did in the past, for what I did to warrant such distrust. I’m not going to betray you again. There is too much at stake,” Denman looked over at Alan for the latter part of the sentence. He was in an animated discussion with Jessie, Anna and Lewis. Rikki was not sure how to react to the scientist’s open statement.

“I…” Rikki began, “Thanks, I guess,” she paused trying to formulate a response. “Look Denman, I appreciate that and I really hope its honesty, but I don’t know if I will ever trust you,”

“For that I am sorry,” Denman smiled sadly.

“But…I think I forgive you, after what you’ve done for Jessie. I know that would be hard as a scientist – having an accessible subject and evidence. I think you really have changed. I forgive you, but I’ll never forget,” Rikki admitted reluctantly. Denman smiled gratefully.

“That means a lot, especially coming from you,” Denman replied.